Am I doing something wrong?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceface

Reaction score
My adult female Orchid, Heidi, is dead. It happened so fast, I honestly just don't know what is going wrong.

Yesterday, she was totally fine; climbing around her enclosure looking hungry at feeding time. I fed her, as I normally would. She happily ate around 8 blue bottles and was hanging from the lid of her enclosure after her meal. Last night, in one of the many times I looked in on her, she was pumping her abdomen. I assumed she was calling (because she is 3 weeks mature) and got excited. Well, an hour later she was dangling from the lid by 2 of her feet. In the process of getting her enclosure out to check on her, she fell to the floor and made no attempt to get up. I fed her water and honey powder/bee pollen and she drank a bit but didn't move. She wouldn't drink anything else or respond to stimulus and this morning she is dead. Her decline was so rapid, she was normal at noon when she ate and by 8pm she was dying and there was nothing I could do

I really don't get it. I don't have any idea what went wrong or how to improve. My male orchids are totally fine, my nymphs are fine, but this is the 2nd adult female I've lost unexpectedly and unexplained. What could possibly be causing this? She was completely fine and then died within 12 hrs. I will break down the care I give them and maybe someone can tell me if I'm doing something glaringly wrong. 

I keep all my orchids in plastic cups with paper towels as substrate. The adult females are in modified  64oz Tupperware containers. The enclosures are kept in 10 gal aquariums with reptile fogger and heat mats. Heat is set to around 85 for my females, and RH is set to 70 with a 7% window of differential, RH typically stays in the mid 70s. The foggers are filled with distilled water. I mist daily with distilled water and change substrate every other day. They eat solely Blue Bottle flies, which I source from Mantids Galore. I feed my adult females every other day, and they usually eat 8 or 10 flies. If they don't eat some of the flies, I remove them. 

Letty declined in a similar fashion, albeit a little slower. She was fine, eating normally, had a meal and died within 12 hrs. Granted, Letty had mismolted and was eating less than Heidi, but she was eating and moving and acting fine then died suddenly after a meal. They were around the same age (3 weeks mature). I'm sourcing clean flies from a reputable place, could it be the flies? Is the humidity too high/not high enough? Coincidence?

Idk, I feel I'm grasping at straws. I have no idea what happened to Heidi. Is it something I'm doing? Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to see any more dead orchids 😢

Something HAD to have been wrong for her to die, right? She was showing zero signs of issue or illness. She was very active yesterday am, and was pressing against the side of her enclosure looking greedily at the one fly left in her sister's enclosure. She was hungry and ate immediately. Then bam, dangling from the lid and dying. 

It couldn't have been 'stale air' as I get in her enclosure daily. Could she have eaten too much? I thought adults wouldn't overeat, and I never considered it as a problem since they usually will ignore the flies they don't want and I can remove them and save them for later feedings. 

Idk. I've yet to get an adult female to live more than 3 or 4 weeks. Ingrid mismolted and died in the first 48hrs, Letty died unexpectedly, and now Heidi. I sincerely do not understand what is wrong, or if something even is wrong and I just have had rotten luck. 

I don't know the first thing about keeping orchids. I will really need to have a serious talk with myself if one of our breeders gets orchids, because it sounds very challenging.

How FRUSTRATING for you!

Oh no! I am so sorry, this is so sad! What did she eat last? What temps has she been kept in? How humid has she been kept? How much ventilation does her enclosure have? Are there any signs of mold or fungus in her enclosure? 

- MantisGirl13

Oh no! I am so sorry, this is so sad! What did she eat last? What temps has she been kept in? How humid has she been kept? How much ventilation does her enclosure have? Are there any signs of mold or fungus in her enclosure? 

- MantisGirl13
Care parameters and feeding are listed above. I haven't seen any signs of mold anywhere. The lid of the enclosure is plastic canvas mesh, I'll get a picture of the enclosure for you guys to see. 

The suddenness is the most disturbing part, she was seemingly normal at noonish when I fed her and by 9pm she was too far gone to do anything to help her. 

Wouldn't an illness have shown a slower decay rate? 

I don't know the first thing about keeping orchids. I will really need to have a serious talk with myself if one of our breeders gets orchids, because it sounds very challenging.

How FRUSTRATING for you!
In general, I haven't found keeping Orchids too difficult until this issue. My males are fine; I haven't lost a single one to an illness or injury and I've had 7 make it to adult so far. My females haven't been as lucky and I just don't get whether I'm doing something wrong or just experiencing bad luck

Here are the enclosures. The right is the old enclosure, the left is the one I just upgraded for Jane. Jane is the mantis in the foreground. I took out the bug ladders and glued the bug ladders on the wall of the enclosure. I also added more plastic canvas to the lid

Here is Jane in the new enclosure

@Graceface LoL.

I just did that for Hope's enclosure.

Same type of bin, except I used plastic mesh.
Funny! Great minds think alike, eh? 

I just tried to eliminate any component I felt could be a problem. The diagonal bug ladders needed support as they didn't have enough rigidity to hold the mantid's weight, so I took them out to be safe. I also lowered the humidity to 60%. 

My husband thinks I over fed her, I don't agree. 

Since I have no idea what went wrong I don't know what to fix. I don't want to lose Jane, too 😞

Last edited by a moderator:
Im torturing myself wondering about Hope too. After arriving injured, while weakened, she was all over her enclosure. I was so wanting them to eat, it didnt occur to me that goldens eat immediately upon presenting prey, if they want it. If I'd just left her alone, would she have hooked in more solidly?

But, I'm a novice, and you're breeding.

Don't second guess yourself. 👍

Im torturing myself wondering about Hope too. After arriving injured, while weakened, she was all over her enclosure. I was so wanting them to eat, it didnt occur to me that goldens eat immediately upon presenting prey, if they want it. If I'd just left her alone, would she have hooked in more solidly?

But, I'm a novice, and you're breeding.

Don't second guess yourself. 👍
Well, I'm not breeding yet. Gotta get an adult female to stay alive long enough to reach maturity first. My poor males are so so ready to mate, but I hope they can hold out for Jane. Heck, now I just hope I can get Jane to live to see mating. She is fine currently, but so was Heidi 🤔😞 

It's hard not to second guess yourself, when you're fretting over a sick mantis. I'm still sending positive vibes to Hope ❤️

Sorry for your loss.  I have no experience with orchids. i don't know what happend with your poor girl.😢

I hope Jane will doing fine and can mate with one of your males.

Care parameters and feeding are listed above. I haven't seen any signs of mold anywhere. The lid of the enclosure is plastic canvas mesh, I'll get a picture of the enclosure for you guys to see. 

The suddenness is the most disturbing part, she was seemingly normal at noonish when I fed her and by 9pm she was too far gone to do anything to help her. 

Wouldn't an illness have shown a slower decay rate? 
Oops, sorry, I just skimmed the first post and missed that part! Illnesses, from what I have seen, usually come on pretty fast, bet there are at least some signs of what is happening. Maybe something went wrong on her molt to adult and just started to affect her now?

- MantisGirl13

Oops, sorry, I just skimmed the first post and missed that part! Illnesses, from what I have seen, usually come on pretty fast, bet there are at least some signs of what is happening. Maybe something went wrong on her molt to adult and just started to affect her now?

- MantisGirl13
Thanks for the reply, @MantisGirl13 I wrote a frickin novel, lol. It's understandable to miss a detail

It's possible Heidi had unknown complications from her molt, I spose. Idk what else to say for what happened. She molted to adult 11/20, so she was about 3 1/2 weeks mature.

Maybe she got sick, if illness sets in rapidly. I wonder what would've made her sick, though. There are only a few factors in her care, so it had to be one of those.

I use distilled water to avoid introducing bacteria and mold, maybe there is something growing inside my humidifier? If so, that would fog it into the air she breathes. I clean the water tank and use distilled water in it, too, though. None of my other orchid mantises are having issues and I have 3 foggers going on 3 different orchid enclosure tanks. 

Could she have overeaten? I've fed her more than flies than that before and she was fine. Can freshly hatched blue bottle flies make a mantis sick somehow? 

I changed any potential contaminant source (ie the ramps) in the enclosure, just to be safe (pictured and described above) 

Maybe I've just had rotten luck with my females so far. Jane is doing okay, my males are fine (a bit stir crazy and ready to mate tho), and my nymphs are fine too. I have had no issues with my orchids until this

yes, I have to agree on that. you feel so hopeless when one gets sick,  but you can't do much. (this is how i feel about Cleo)

On the other side when it goes well, they give a lot of fun.
So true. We have to cherish the good times to get us through the tough times ❤️ Just love those mantids extra while you can ❤️

Latest posts