Am I doing something wrong?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

I finally got my hygrometers with probes from eBay, so yesterday I did an experiment.

I cleaned my aquarium and enclosures well, then cut vents in both sides of 2 of my adult enclosures. Inside each enclosure, I placed a different substrate; one with damp cotton makeup remover pads, and one with damp paper towels. I sprayed 4 sprays of mist in each enclosure and placed the lid on with the probe inside. They were both put inside an aquarium with a humidifier set to 70% and a lid covering 80% of the aquarium top. 

The humidity spiked (expected) at first, up to 99% with the cotton rounds and 90% with the paper towels. I left it overnight and checked it this am. I was surprised to see that it was still very humid in the morning, with the cotton rounds reading 90% and paper towels reading 85%. 

I'm surprised to see how humid it is in the enclosures, even with the added ventilation. I will try lowering the humidity setting on my controller and increasing the top vent opening on the aquarium to get the humidifier to kick on more frequently and exchange the air more. Now I am suspecting that I may have had inadequate ventilation in the past for my adult females, based on these results, though I am not certain that is the cause of my previous health issues. 

Different care sheets say different things as far as humidity goes for Orchids, though the general guideline is 60-80%. Orin says adult females need more ventilation so I assume they'd like a lower humidity, like 60%.

Where do I want humidity to be for adult female orchids? 

I have never kept an adult orchid, but I'd say go for much lower humidity. I keep my L4s at about 60% RH and they are thriving.

- MantisGirl13

@MantisGirl13 I had previously been keeping them all set at 70%, but based on these results, I lowered them to 60% and increased the top ventilation on the aquarium. (I don't have the probes inside the enclosures now, as I just received the female Orchids I ordered and I put them in the enclosures; I'm currently trying to get them warm 😢)

The readings from inside the enclosure yesterday were 10% to 20% above the programmed RH setting on my controller. I think lowering the setting 10% and more ventilation on the aquarium top will result in around 60% inside the enclosures 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, more of an interpretation read between the lines, its likely better to keep them in the lower range of the humidity distribution. If they by chance run a little dry, and they're used to being on the dryer end, they'll tolerate the momentary lapse better.

Also, more of an interpretation read between the lines, its likely better to keep them in the lower range of the humidity distribution. If they by chance run a little dry, and they're used to being on the dryer end, they'll tolerate the momentary lapse better.
Yes, I agree. 

The substrate has always dried out so quickly, I assumed the enclosures were drying out more than it appears they are. I thought that the humidity was spiking then falling rapidly, but it spikes and then tends to stay above the aquarium ambient RH by 10%. 

I may need to add mesh on another side of the enclosures to help make sure they aren't staying too humid or getting stuffy at any point. 

Never once had an issue with my nymphs or adult males 

I have heard that with orchids, they can be over feed especially with females that are producing or ready to produce. Something about holding egg sacks and not having enough room. I read it on this forum in another post about ooth problems. This person had two females die and then limited to two flies for feeding for the females and that seemed to do the trick. I'm going to do that as well. My petals died from being egg bound and too large to lay.

I have heard that with orchids, they can be over feed especially with females that are producing or ready to produce. Something about holding egg sacks and not having enough room. I read it on this forum in another post about ooth problems. This person had two females die and then limited to two flies for feeding for the females and that seemed to do the trick. I'm going to do that as well. My petals died from being egg bound and too large to lay.
I have recently been limiting food also. Orin's book says that the more they eat, the more air exchanges they will need. It's possible they ate too much and couldn't breathe in an environment where they previously were fine. 

I have been feeding 2-4 flies at a time, just to be safe. 

Latest posts