Ant Colony

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cole 78

Reaction score
Here’s a pic I got of my Crematogaster Lineolata:

5KOuKRe.jpg

Wow! How big are they? What got you into ants?

- MantisGirl13
Not too large compared to some species, but a decent size. Workers I estimate are 4-5 mm while the queen is probably around 10mm. I got into ants from YouTube haha. I later joined this awsome ant forum (not very different from this forum) called "Formiculture." It's a very rewarding hobby, you might like it!

Edit: You can see the grains of sand in ratio to their body.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are kind of cool... 

Thanks for nothing, now I want an ant colony! ?

How/where did you get your ants? I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to ship queens across state borders (not that anyone really listens to those laws anyway)

I really like the looks of velvet ants, but I’m pretty sure I’d have to order them from elsewhere 

I really like the looks of velvet ants, but I’m pretty sure I’d have to order them from elsewhere 
Velvet ants are not actually ants but wingless wasps ?Peter sells them on occasion via bugincyberspace ... I have 2 right now, they are fun.

Yeah, he only has 2 of the medium sized ones available now. I thought about buying them, but I decided to get a small scorpion instead. I just couldn’t bring myself to spend $16 on a couple of ants (wingless wasp? Sounds like a big ant to me ?) 

really, though, I think I’m sticking to mantids for now. I don’t even know why I got the scorpion. Maybe I’ll get into other insects in a few years

5KOuKRe.jpg

Cool picture of the queen and a few workers. I have seen vids of ant keeping but never got into it like with mantids.

@ausar318 yes it is illegal to ship queen ants across state lines. You can find queens pretty easily. I have couple methods;

-A hot day after rain is when they have their nuptial flights. Nuptial flights are when virgin queens and males fly out of their nests and mate in the air. The male later perishes after the breeding, and the queen drops to the ground. Now usually queens will drop to the ground and rip off their wings. Occasionally they will keep there wings, even if they are fertile. Go looking on side walks for "out of the ordinary" looking ants. They will have large thoraxes and gasters. You can tell the difference between queens and males fairly easily. Males look more like wasps, with skinny gasters and large eyes. Just leave males, their useless. 

-Next method is "blacklighting." I love this method for many reasons. You go to an area full of ant and insects life. You Kay a white sheet over the ground, and place a blacklight over it. You can use an extension cable and a DC/AC Power Inverter to hook up to your car or a portable generator. The blacklight attracts MANY insects, including queen ants. You also find many good feeders. You can do this from around 8-12PM.

-It's a bit late in the year, so nuptial flights in Indiana are coming to a stop. I have a good friend in Indiana who has tons of queens and colonies he might sell or give away to you. He has quite a bit of knoledge on most insects and arachnids, and is very honest. PM me and I can hook you two up.

I acquired my ants through trade, all legally. A few great community's for ant keepers are Formiculture.com and https://discord.gg/qrAqPAQ I can "ant"swer any questions you have via PM.

Best of luck

-Major

Lasius Neoniger

bbL4W78.jpg

Lasius Brevicornis (Formerlly know as Lasius Flavus)

qWts9d2.jpg

oh yeah, and my camera setup if anyone is interested.

9LsLmFE.jpg

Cool pics of your ants :)

I got into ants from YouTube haha.
I got via youtube into mantids. it is very useful to get new ppl into the hobby.

I like to watch the vids of Antcanada. I don't think I will keep ants, but his vids are intresting. He makes a nice story with showing his colonies.

I am thinking of getting a pair of hissing roaches. For roaches they are cute.

Latest posts