bad eating ghost.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Lady

Reaction score
Ghosty, my ghost adult male is barely eating since his molt. I can put some flies in his cup, but he ignores them. He doesn't like hand feeding, but that way I get him to eat a bit. This abdomen is so thin. My question is how to get my Ghost eat better? I tried Dubia goo, pieces of grasshopper and just house flies.

How about an entire small grasshopper? Or a small dubia in a cup alone with him? No substrate. Just mantis and prey. 

Adult males of any species eat way less. 

Have you misted his enclosure lately? Mine seemed to refuse food until they drank...
Yup, i give a mist every day.

How about an entire small grasshopper? Or a small dubia in a cup alone with him? No substrate. Just mantis and prey. 
You mean in a cup whitout fake flower too? As substrate I use kitchen paper because it is easyto clean and to see if it is dirty or not. Maybe he will grab the baby grasshopper then.

Adult males of any species eat way less. 
I know. Tarzan eats better than Ghosty. It is not much, but if i offer a small prey he eats it. His abdomen looks normal/

I'm just saying. Someone on MK was saying the same of their adult ghost. 

I don't have any adults yet, but my mios basically stopped eating at imago. One is still alive and maybe eats BBF a week. Maybe a bit more. 

But yeah, isolate. Mantis and prey item. Let us know how it goes. 

Ok I will try that. 🤔Ghosty must eat even it are just a few bites. He needs to get energy to mate with Spooky. But I pefer him grabbing his own food then handfeeding.

He is now in his empty cup with a baby grasshopper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Male ghosts hardly eat anything. Hand feed him small portions, but don't expect him to eat much. This is normal.

- MantisGirl13

Male ghosts hardly eat anything. Hand feed him small portions, but don't expect him to eat much. This is normal.
Ah thanks, I was worriying about him because he is eating so badly. but is it normal that his abdomen looks very flat?  Iwill let him eat a few bites then. but lets see what is happening with him and baby grasshopper. I hope he will grab that on his own but till now. they are hanging on the lid.

Nothing happend with Ghosty and baby grasshopper during the night/day.  the little grasshopper was still alive.

I just handfed him instead a little piece of grasshopper and the other bit  gave to Spooky. At least he ate a bit and that is better than nothing.