beauty and the beast (flytrap photo)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. I think I'm going to start shopping for them. Anyone know a good source?
All the garden and greenhouse places (Bradford Greenhouses is most popular in the area), carry small pots of young plants. I've never been able to keep one of those alive too long though. More than likely just caused by my ineptness, but thats where I'd start if I were you. Local garden and greenhouse places.

All the garden and greenhouse places (Bradford Greenhouses is most popular in the area), carry small pots of young plants. I've never been able to keep one of those alive too long though. More than likely just caused by my ineptness, but thats where I'd start if I were you. Local garden and greenhouse places.
Thanks. I called Lowes home improvement and they said that they have starter kits with seeds, dirt and everything you need to start a species called Dionaea Muscipula for $10.98. Is that a good deal? I'm going there in a little while if the weather permits to take a look at it and maybe buy it.

The internet is the best place for cps. Garden center ones must be properly aclimated or they will die. Cobraplant.com is the best in my experience. Also there are Other carnivores that are much easier than venus fly traps.

I buy all my cps from my local carnivorous plant society, but those are not common.

@mvalenz do not buy venus fly trap seeds they're crazy hard! Must be kept in a refrigerator for 2 months, are very suceptable to mold, and takes 3 years + to reach home depot size!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you insist on a venus fly trap flytrapstore.com has dozens of types. Many look very exotic (there is one with double sided traps!).

If you insist on a venus fly trap flytrapstore.com has dozens of types. Many look very exotic (there is one with double sided traps!).
Awesome! Thanks. I was going to buy the kit with seeds, but my friend said that they are difficult as well to get started. He said that he had VFT as well and they all died. What is the proper environment for VFT?

Usually keep them outdoors with at least 4-5 hours of direct sunlight. keep wet but only use RO or distilled water. minerals kill them. keep them in a tray of water to keep them wet. no need to feed them as they catch bugs well on their own and too much food kills them. they go dormant in winter so don't worry if they're not growing right now. many people think these are tropical but they are actually temperate. do not close the traps on purpose because this exhausts the plant.

Latest posts