Blue bottle fly or house fly culture?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWrongCrowd

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a successful blue bottle, or house fly, fly culture? I'm interested in trying to breed some for my mantids instead of purchasing a lot and freezing them. Ive only been able to find one video on how to breed them but I appreciate multiple sources. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone here have a successful blue bottle, or house fly, fly culture? I'm interested in trying to breed some for my mantids instead of purchasing a lot and freezing them. Ive only been able to find one video on how to breed them but I appreciate multiple sources. 
It’s a stinky and gross process to breed them. Honestly I don’t think it’s worth it.

To start off you can't freeze them and there aren't really what you call cultures but I sell a housefly food you may be able to use for blue bottle I don't know all you do is wet it with water and if the flies aren't laying you soak a piece of bread and some milk that's sour a little you could set it out for a day or so and you can use that other than that I don't know of any other thing that you can do a lot of people will use meat but that's really a smelly thing to do and a lot of people can't handle it including me

To start off you can't freeze them and there aren't really what you call cultures but I sell a housefly food you may be able to use for blue bottle I don't know all you do is wet it with water and if the flies aren't laying you soak a piece of bread and some milk that's sour a little you could set it out for a day or so and you can use that other than that I don't know of any other thing that you can do a lot of people will use meat but that's really a smelly thing to do and a lot of people can't handle it including me
My bad, I meant  refrigerate for a day if I'm saving them for later.  I see, okay thanks 

That lady in the video appears to successfully breed houseflies indoors.  I don't think you can breed Blue Bottles without a smelly medium.  The question is, can you take mantids to maturity on houseflies alone, or do they need to be switched over to Blue Bottles at some point.

That lady in the video appears to successfully breed houseflies indoors.  I don't think you can breed Blue Bottles without a smelly medium.  The question is, can you take mantids to maturity on houseflies alone, or do they need to be switched over to Blue Bottles at some point.
i tried to rear bottleflies on the housefly medium but they only grew for a few days

Someone on YouTube asked that woman if her medium would work with blue bottles.  She replied as follows: "Soft chicken based dog food.  Outdoors under a rain shelter.  Inside of a scavenger-proof fence.  I have no sense of smell which helps."

I think she lives in Pennsylvania, so that's not going to work for her this time of year.  Perhaps Seattle winters are milder.

Latest posts