Breeding colour morphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantidfinatic13

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there was a way to breed specific mantid colour morphs.I know that in many species of mantids there are colour morphs (most commonly green and brown) but is there a way to specifically breed the colours you are after? I have some green orthodera which are almost always green however there have actually been quite a few records of people finding brown and even a stunning golden colour. I have experienced that sometimes if you put in specific coloured leaves they will change to that colour to blend in, e.g putting in dead (brown) leaves and seeing my mantids change to a brown colour. But is this the case with all species?

thanks

These are some of my generation 3 females.  I am going to have to take some photos of the nymphs and adolescents from generation 4.  Currently, they all just look "dark" in my zoomed out photos of the communities. 😅

I provided MantisGirl13's experiment with ghosts from a black female, and she reports that they aren't lightening up like the others from other colored ghost females. It appears to be the case for all of generation 4. 🙂

20210122_134758.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: