Bugfest 2016!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
It's about that time again! If you're in the neighborhood September 17th I highly suggest coming to this event that takes place at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh, NC. All things arthropod! As many of you know since 2007 I have hosted a mantis booth during this event. Last year there were over 35,000 unique visitors to Bugfest.

As always I am looking for advice, suggestions, and input on how I can improve my display. If you were coming what would you like to see at a mantis booth? Currently I have preserved mantids and ooths, books, magazines, posters, live mantids, etc. I really need your help on suggesting other items to bring.

Below are links some previous events with pictures. I have a pretty good spread, but I tried to improve it every year. Unfortunately I am not permitted to bring live non-native mantids to this event. Therefore, I am looking for any US mantids members here would like to donate. I can send them back if needed. I have the more common ones covered but really need ground mantids, FL barks, etc. I would also be interested in purchasing some mantids for this event.

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=33499&hl=

http://mantidforum.n...topic=27039&hl=

Check out the link below for details on Bugfest. They don't have this years locations for booths yet but it will be coming.

www.bugfest.org

One of these years I'm going to make it.  Sounds like a great event.  Are there no live non native mantids allowed at all?  What about phasmids.  I know exotics are pretty much illegal for most of us but since this event may have some educational institutions participating I thought maybe there would be some.  Seems a shame to waste such a great educational opportunity. 

One of these years I'm going to make it.  Sounds like a great event.  Are there no live non native mantids allowed at all?  What about phasmids.  I know exotics are pretty much illegal for most of us but since this event may have some educational institutions participating I thought maybe there would be some.  Seems a shame to waste such a great educational opportunity. 
I've always been told live exotic mantids are not allowed. I don't recall ever seeing any phasmids but I usually don't get much time to walk around. 

Still sounds like a great time.  One of these years I'll do it.  I can't really afford the 1800 mile round trip right now although I do have the time (the main reason I can't afford it :D

I am also looking for someone with an interest and some knowledge of mantids to spend the day helping at my booth. I had another member here who expressed interest but I have not heard from him. 

Still looking for a volunteer to help out. I can get volunteers from the museum but one of you with the knowledge and/or interest in mantids is my preference.  Free meals, Bugfest, t-shirt, and you get to attend Bugfest!

Still looking for mantids too!

I hate that I live in california. I would DIE to be a volunteer. I have been wanting to go to a bug fest for like... months now, since I got my mantis.. ;_;

Just a few days out!  I could still use some help though it may be too late to be an "official" volunteer and get the free food and t-shirt. 

CellyBean, I just saw your post. Volunteering involves helping to man the table and answer questions about mantids! Another big part is just making sure nothing gets stolen or broken. Typically volunteers get a free t-shirt, meal, snacks, etc. I have already had to submit my names though so I am unsure if anyone trying to volunteer at this point will be official. I will however buy the bugfest t-shirt for anyone who wants to help me. 

Glad to see your all setup at the Bugfest, and hopefully you'll get some sleep before the event starts at 9. :)

Another great year! Big thanks to all of those who helped me out. Big thanks to mantisman 230 for volunteering the entire day at the booth, his mantis knowledge and the way he engaged the public was a huge help. I would also like to thank hibiscusmile, yen saw, mantiseater, and Pat O'toole...thanks so much. 

Looks like great variety of species (the Ghost though is a shock and seems out of place), plenty of visitors, and a good time. :) Did you get a chance this year Rick to look around the other tables? With some help this year, I bet it was a better event for you too.

Looks great Rick! Wish I was close enough to come tot he event in person, but thanks so much for sharing the pictures! ;)  

Looks like great variety of species (the Ghost though is a shock and seems out of place), plenty of visitors, and a good time. :) Did you get a chance this year Rick to look around the other tables? With some help this year, I bet it was a better event for you too.
It is! Not supposed to bring exotics but this is the second year I've slipped one in just to see if I get in trouble haha. I only had one helper this year so it was a bit nerve wracking at times but we made it work. 

It is! Not supposed to bring exotics but this is the second year I've slipped one in just to see if I get in trouble haha. I only had one helper this year so it was a bit nerve wracking at times but we made it work. 
Well I can't blame you there haha, I was just curious as I read before about that in a previous year. ;) Ah, sorry to hear it was just one helper after all, as I thought there was to be one or two others that planned on helping. Glad you had a good time regardless.