Can anyone ID this critter?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summerbug

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this critter is? We found him inside our house and don’t know what he is or where he came from. I called him Houdini because he is good at getting out of cages. I want to release him back into the wild but would like to know what he is and where his habitat should be when I release him. Notice he has a proboscis that he keeps tucked in until (I think) he uses it to sip liquids. He is obviously not a mantis. He kind of resembles a stick bug (phasmid) except for that proboscis. I am obviously not an entomologist. Thanks!

Houdini.jpg

I believe that's an assassin bug. I usually find a lot of those when I pick wild rassberries.

Awesome! Thanks to you Ntsees and Hungry Ghost for your responses. Ok-then he can stay in my garden and eat bugs for me. I don't need to worry about putting him in any type of special environment or on any particular plant.

when ever i take nymphs captive they never are interested in fruit flys, i just want to see one eat and molt once then release.

AxolotlsAreCoolToo, I do the same thing! I like to feed new "guest" nymphs and keep them through a molt and then let them back out. As a matter of fact, before Hungry Ghost and Ntsees helped me out with the ID, I tried veggies first. Obviously, he was not interested in those. Well I found a tent caterpillar for this guy (I believe this assassin bug could be this a Zelidu luridus) and he sucked all the inards out with that "rostrum" device. The caterpillar was about 3 times his volume. All he left was a little tiny crumpled bit of dried out material. He then spent the better part of the last 5 days resting under his leaf. No molt yet though but he has acquired some different coloration. I wonder if these guys molt but don't leave an obvious discarded molt skin?

He can give you a good little bite if he gets the chance. The different coloration, as with mantises, may indicate a pending molt. I'd guess genus as Zelus.

Last edited by a moderator: