Carolina.com

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dino

Reaction score
Hello people,

I would just like to say carolina is a wonderful place of buying food for your mantids! :D They have: Houseflies, Frutflies, Silkmoths, Mealworms, and Crickets. Perfect food for your mantids! They also have a lot of neat stuff like breeding kite for Mealworms, Crickets, Friutflies, Houseflies ect.

Also other interesting animals like: Lizards, Fish, Snakes ( snakes preserved), scorpions, spiders, mantis eggcases ( chinese mantis.) Very fair price for these items.. would recommend buying from www.carolina.com :D ! Phone # is 1-800-334-5551

For some reason I have never left feedback for them. I have been ordering from them for awhile now. They sell a lot of things that can be used in the mantis hobby. My most recent purchases have been display cases, fruit flies, fruit fly medium, etc. All items arrived quickly and in great shape. They use packing peanuts made from grain, which my dog likes to eat! Check out the website and get one of their gigantic, free catalogs.

I have also purchased from the carolina.com

I orderd $80.00 worth of fruit fly medium almost two years ago. I'm down to my last bag now. This was deffinetly worth the $80.00! Grade A stuff! :) I will be doing bussiness with them again soon!

Carolina Biological Supply produces a very good fruit fly medium that contains an antifungal (methyl paraben). Several members have said that they used their medium and recommended them, and I have done the same.

For some reason, I never questioned the fact that they charge "sales tax" even though there is no evidence that they have a presence in Arizona. I became aware of this at a time when I also realized that they charge the same tax on postage.

I discovered this because I bought a packet of house fly medium from them. They charged a $2 "live materials fee" and also insisted that the package be sent by Express. It turned out that the "living material" that required this extravagant extra charge was a packet of yeast. I talked with their customer rep who agreed that the charge was inappropriate and promised that he would "look into it." That was several months ago and when I checked just now, predictably, nothing had been changed.

Other problems with this company do not relate directly to our hobby, so I shall not go into detail, but you may ask why schools, whose boards are always complaining about budgetary constraints, would pay $33 (Carolina's listed price) plus "tax" and shipping for a 10-gal glass aquarium which can be picked up at a pet store for about $12 including tax. The answer is an open secret -- the company extends its line of credit to allow schools to be in debt for purchases for over a year -- which reflects well neither on the schools nor the companies that practice it. I shall no longer use them.

I have to agree that carolina's fruit fly medium is really good! As far as buying anything else from them, i can not help there. Phil, if your looking to buy some equipment, or even books. You should check out bioquip.com. There prices are fair and there company is out of cali. I'm not sure if they sell feeder insects though?

Carolina Biological Supply produces a very good fruit fly medium that contains an antifungal (methyl paraben). Several members have said that they used their medium and recommended them, and I have done the same.For some reason, I never questioned the fact that they charge "sales tax" even though there is no evidence that they have a presence in Arizona. I became aware of this at a time when I also realized that they charge the same tax on postage.

I discovered this because I bought a packet of house fly medium from them. They charged a $2 "live materials fee" and also insisted that the package be sent by Express. It turned out that the "living material" that required this extravagant extra charge was a packet of yeast. I talked with their customer rep who agreed that the charge was inappropriate and promised that he would "look into it." That was several months ago and when I checked just now, predictably, nothing had been changed.

Other problems with this company do not relate directly to our hobby, so I shall not go into detail, but you may ask why schools, whose boards are always complaining about budgetary constraints, would pay $33 (Carolina's listed price) plus "tax" and shipping for a 10-gal glass aquarium which can be picked up at a pet store for about $12 including tax. The answer is an open secret -- the company extends its line of credit to allow schools to be in debt for purchases for over a year -- which reflects well neither on the schools nor the companies that practice it. I shall no longer use them.
Never had the issue you describe Phil. I do admit that their prices on a lot of stuff are high.

Ordered more fruit fly medium. Seems their once slow shipping is no longer slow. Got the order in a couple days.

I got an order from them the other day. I like browsing through all the stuff on the website, because they have a lot of interesting stuff, but they're seriously overpriced, in my opinion. I ended up getting some painted lady larvae and chrysalis. The kit really doesn't come with much. I suppose it doesn't really need to, but for what you pay, you kind of expect more. Anyway, I got everything I ordered quickly. I'd probably rarely order stuff again, due to the cost.

their ff media sucks in comparison to the media made by repashy or joshs frogs. yields are super low in comparison
I've never had a problem with it and I use it often. I see no difference in it compared to the others.

I recently placed a large order for glass specimen vials and lids. Their website showed everything in stock but I got an email stating one set of the lids I wanted was out of stockha and backordered. Placed a call and the lady I spoke with offered up a metal lid instead of the plastic I had ordered. Same price and didn't matter so we made the switch. Order arrived very fast but then again they're in the same state. They shipped these glass vials in a large sturdy box with lots of cushioning materials. I am impressed by the level of care they took to ensure these jars were not broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought some fruit fly cultures and a few ooths a couple of months back. They have quality stuff and all sorts of cool stuff and got the shipment promptly and everything was in order. However I do think they are pricey and better deals can be found elsewhere for the same stuff or more quantity of stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts