Classifieds Change

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

Peter Clausen

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
In an effort to reduce moderation frustrations, replies have been disabled in the classifieds sections. We had rules, but not the time to enforce them.

gripen

Reaction score
just a thought but maybe some more mods (not that the existing mods arnt any good)? maybe a classifieds chat section like they have in many other forums?

Last edited by a moderator:

Orin

Reaction score
The time isn't in moderating it's in figuring out how to address gray areas where rules are being bent out of shape. More mods would make such a taks a longer, more time consuming process. It would have been easy to delete all replies but we were giving members an inch and of course some took a mile.

gripen

Reaction score
i see what you me. can the seller still reply or do they have to edit there original post?

Orin

Reaction score
It should work so that only the seller can reply to his/her own thread.

jcal

Reaction score
I for one find most posts in the sales area helpful, but I will respectfully bow out to the admins decision.

Rick

Reaction score
I brought this up. When I am on here I spend 90+% of the time cleaning up the classifieds. Many other forums I frequent have it set up the same way and I used to think it was annoying until I had to deal with the mess here.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should work so that only the seller can reply to his/her own thread.
It does not. I just tried and I cannot reply to my own thread in sales section. I edited my post but it is not going to help since editing is not going to bring the thread up to the front.

Peter Clausen

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hi Yen and Orin,

I have disabled all replies in the sales areas, including seller replies to their own posts. It never made any sense to move a post up to the top simply on account of an update that says "all sold". It seems that editing your post to say "sold out" is the best move to make if you don't want any more private messages.

However, if a seller has new items to sell they should feel comfortable creating a new sales post. We don't currently have any rules about how often a seller can post a new sales thread, but one per day should be enough.

Rick, you will be happy to know that I found a setting that requires members to have a post count of at least one before they post in the sales threads.

I made the relevant changes to the Rules sections of the sales categories to reflect the changes.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....... It never made any sense to move a post up to the top simply on account of an update that says "all sold".......
It was not for the "all sold" purpose. I hope it is alright for me to do THIS, which the reply option could help for visibility purpose instead of PM/Email everyone who placed the order.

jcal

Reaction score
I feel this change will make it alot harder for breeders and buyers to communicate.

I also agree with gripens suggestion. Any chance of a classified sales chat section?

Rick

Reaction score
I feel this change will make it alot harder for breeders and buyers to communicate.

I also agree with gripens suggestion. Any chance of a classified sales chat section?
That's what the PM function is for. Many ask that you PM or email them anyways.

Thanks Peter. The one post before posting in the classifieds is nice!

GreenOasis

Reaction score
I would tend to agree with you guys, no need for excess communications in the classifieds. (Even just the "Wow, great pic!" is kind of annoying at times.) No matter how many times you post & "warn" folks about it, there's always going to be new members that won't have read the rules or, even if they did, think that, when they see OTHERS who've been on here longer getting away with it, that it's okay.

The PM system is all folks should need to have if they want to ask sellers questions.

However, I do think that Yen is somewhat right in what he's saying, that people should be able to post on their own classified thread...perhaps to address some common questions that they are getting via PMs (such as, "Do you still have them, How much, How many, etc?")...though, I suppose editing an ad would be just as easy. It's just going to take time for folks to get used to the new way of running the section. ;) Self included.

Peter Clausen

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hi Yen,

The link you gave included the following text and I will reply in black text, below.

This is just an update that Archimantis latistyla has molted. I will be sending nymphs to respective buyers. Please email or PM me if there is any problem on shipping date. Thanks.

Edit: Original post is HERE.

Your example brings up two important points. First, the expectation that customers would check a seller's sales thread for updates on their orders is not what the sales area of this forum is designed for. It is what the PM system is for or email. I've purposely not explained why this is best practice, but can if you like. Second, it is a matter of general hobby etiquette (and a rule on many forums) that sellers do not sell product until product is ready to ship. We have not made this a rule on this forum, however using that as leverage in your case for changing the new rules is inadequate.

Please do not use the classifieds for posts like the one in your example.

Latest posts