Cosmic's Critters

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmic Kitten

Reaction score
My Collection as of August 2022

4 Chinese Mantis, Tenodera sinensis (2 males (first two photos, both pictured), 2 Females (1 pictured and she had just molted hence the smaller abdomen, she’s fatter now XD))
Wiggles, Trooper, and Mmmssassin (Marty, not pictured)
IMG_4555.JPG
IMG_4593.JPG
746C0FA4-D20F-4893-A6CA-B7034252352E.jpg

1 Ghost Mantis, Phyllocrania paradoxa
Ghostie
IMG_4549.JPG

1 Unicorn Mantis, Pseudovates chlorophaea
Name TBD
IMG_4642.JPG

1 Spiny Flower Mantis, Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii
Name TBD
IMG_4641.JPG

1 Giant Golden Asian Mantis, Hierodula venosa
Ember
IMG_4596.JPG

Last edited:
So cuteeee! You have any funny stories of them?
Thank you! Gosh off the top of my head, I suppose not really. Cute stories though ;p My T. sinensis and H. venosa figured out I was the food lady nice and early and will often cross their enclosures to come to me when I walk in the room and come see me. I of course humanize it as affection, but I think they just know I mean attention and snacks. haha. The all blow me away day by day with their behaviors. I was not aware they could get "attached" to people like that. They don't react to my partner the same way, but then he isn't the one spending all the time with them. He will help on occasion, I think they're just more used to /socialized with me, however they don't fear him either. Some funny and cute observations I guess would be how expressive the P. paradoxa and P. wahlbergii are with their bodies. Sometimes they give little butt twitches when inspecting or assessing something and it reminds me a little of a squirrel tail. Lots of observations, even just in my first year. It's been so fascinating and educational. They are so dang cool. ;)

My Collection as of August 2022

4 Chinese Mantis, Tenodera sinensis (2 males (first two photos, both pictured), 2 Females (1 pictured and she had just molted hence the smaller abdomen, she’s fatter now XD))
Wiggles, Trooper, and Mmmssassin (Marty, not pictured)
View attachment 20654View attachment 20656View attachment 20655

1 Ghost Mantis, Phyllocrania paradoxa
Ghostie
View attachment 20657

1 Unicorn Mantis, Pseudovates chlorophaea
Name TBD
View attachment 20663

1 Spiny Flower Mantis, Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii
Name TBD
View attachment 20659

1 Giant Golden Asian Mantis, Hierodula venosa
Ember
View attachment 20660

New additions since (and some updates) -
- Fawkes (Giant Golden Asian Mantis, Hierodula venosa). This is unedited. Their colors at the moment are just beautiful.
IMG_4723.png

- A second Ghost Mantis, Phyllocrania paradoxa, (who I've not got a picture of just yet) as a companion for my other, named Boo. So Ghost(ie) and Boo. XD
- The Pseudovates chlorophaea got a name, Unicron.
- The Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii also got a name, Thornrose.

More to come in the Cosmic Critter Chronicles... ;p

I've now got a cute "little" (for now XD they will not stay very little) Heterochaeta orientalis, Giant African Stick Mantis. Name is Gasm because A) that's the abbreviation and B) it made me giggle.
Welcome "little" Gasm!

IMG_4764.png

And the 2 re-homes from The Wolven, Kiwi (male Otomantis scutigera) and Petal (male Hierodula venosa).
IMG_4779.png

IMG_4780.png