Could it be a passenger pigeon???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brancsikia339

Reaction score
Last january, while waiting for my school bus, I saw a group of interesting looking pigeons in a tree. I knew a lot about extinct birds, and to me it looked like a passenger pigeon. Many sightings have occured since their declared extinction in 1914, but none confirmed. I forgot about these photos until i was just scrolling through my camera. What do you think? Could they be back??

i am not positive about this id, i just wanted to hear what you guys think they may be

Group in the tree

zjSZOt4.jpg

Individual pics of 3 of them

female?

TlPNxDF.jpg

Male? wrong date

i5tVhPi.jpg

Unsure

8C93vH8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think they're mourning doves, and from what I can tell the tail isn't elongated enough to be a passenger pigeon. Not sure what would have caused the reddish breast on the mourning dove though; as Agent A said, it could have been an older male with a bloodied breast.

the reason i posted the pics is because they look nearly identical to these pictures of passenger pigeons from the early 1900s, late 1800s. Here are some from google

L3qNJi1.jpg

XQ6zMgh.jpg

e63sdPs.jpg

9lO6WGw.jpg

e84WOqz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! It is a passenger pigeon. Amazing photos. Your photos look like doves to me. Pigeons have thicker beaks and I consider them flying rats. The only good pigeon is a dead one. :lol: