Curiosity.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@LAME Sounds interesting. I did some digging and most are hidden after the event, but prizes ranged from free mantid calendars, forum supporter membership, and such. The last one was back in 2013 so it has been awhile for forum contests, but I found a few random ones done by members too.

Are you wanting to host such a contest, or looking to enter one for the prize(s) LAME? I'm up for it if a interesting contest could be decided, and what would be a worthwhile prize(s). Heck, if there was enough interest perhaps we could do a contest more regularly too. ;)

Also maybe offer various prize packs, and let the winner decide which they want - as some prizes would already likely be owned by contestants, or they find another much better for them. Of course to be a official forum contest the other mods would need to weigh in on such a event.

We are a mantid forum obviously, but I wouldn't see why we couldn't also offer some other exotic pet prize packs too; after all, most of us also keep many various other pets. Or even various related accessories/goods like a heating tape, thermostat, heating pad, hydrometer/thermometer, feeders, habitats - or perhaps a new pet as well (a few species to choose from).

If we could get a sponsor to help with the prizes then it might be a really great contest, that everyone would get involved with. :D

Really I was just curious, when logging into our forum (gateway page) it mentions we hold yearly contest and such... But I haven't really seen them since joining sometime ago. I do recall a couple members doing their own, but that too has been sometime ago.

If I had anything worth tossing in and making a contest I definitely would contribute. However after my Idolomantis project went south... I can't say I have much to offer (a side from a couple idolo friendly 32oz homes, which are practically useless as no one here is keeping them lol.)

But overall.... Just curious.   :)  

Really I was just curious, when logging into our forum (gateway page) it mentions we hold yearly contest and such... But I haven't really seen them since joining sometime ago. I do recall a couple members doing their own, but that too has been sometime ago.

If I had anything worth tossing in and making a contest I definitely would contribute. However after my Idolomantis project went south... I can't say I have much to offer (a side from a couple idolo friendly 32oz homes, which are practically useless as no one here is keeping them lol.)

But overall.... Just curious.   :)
Ah okay, I don't see that page myself often so I didn't even know that.  At the moment we have been getting next year's mantid calendar project going, so I'll have to see where everyone stands on contests afterwards. If nothing else perhaps we can just start off small and let it build back up from there. Thanks for the comment about it though, it does seem like a great idea to do. :)

what are these contests about?
Well they are a way for members to create topics/posts for a contest in order to win a prize, based on who everyone votes on as the winner. As mentioned in my original reply - I did some digging and most are hidden after the event, but prizes ranged from free mantid calendars, forum supporter membership, and such. The last one was back in 2013.

So the contest theme/requirements vary depending on the contest (usually some written topic/essay about the contest theme), and various prizes have been awarded in the past.

At the moment there are no contests, but would be a good idea to implement them again to make some of the members more active, or attract new ones - and after all who doesn't like to enter a contest for free prizes. :)

I could do custom built back walls for 10 gallon tanks? ;)

....maaaaaaybe.

I'd have to build a few prototypes before actually releasing them for mantid-use. Shouldn't be too difficult though.

Well sounds like interest in restarting the contests to me. We'll have to see what we can get started soon then. :)

Anyone have some ideas on a contest theme in the meantime?

For me I obviously thought of everyone creating a do it yourself guide for the hobby, perhaps leaving it open to any DIY guide or making it about something specific like habitats or something (perhaps using photos/text, videos, or a combination). Of course there are many things we could make the contest for, and I think a list of ideas would be great. If nothing else we could use the extra ideas for future contests too. ;)

Yes. For me if I had enough mantids, I definitely give out some in a contest. Right now one of my mantids died cause I fed him black widow babies (dumb thing I learned the hard way). I do have some enclosures I purchased from a hobbyist that are too small for use. Might as well give those away for free. 

They are similar to this one. I use angora, merino wool, baby alpaca and others. All natural fibers and colors.They are undyed.

IMG_20161105_1302405_rewind.jpg

I can make a prize hat with different fibers if a winner has allergy troubles with wool, angora etc...

People who are allergic to cats have the same reactions to angora rabbit.

Mantis hats, hmmm. My mantids like to ride on my baseball type hats I wear in summer. Beyond that, I don't know.......

@KevinsWither Although a cute idea, I don't think mantids would like that. It would be cute to have them as little props for a photo but not to actually wear. @Sticky Aww, that sounds cute, a little companion, haha. I take mine out and he just rides on my shoulder :p

I am clarifying that there should be these little hats that the mantids (or native phasmids or over inverts) wear. Like a miniature hat that fits comfortably over there head.

I cant see a mantis wearing one without a fight. When they stumble into my yarn they think they are under attack! I dont want that,and I dont want them eating it either.

A tarantula is another thing. Phoebe would easily tolerate my silly play. She would put up with a Santa hat nicely.