D. dessicata Feeding/Native Habitat

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jooly

Reaction score
Hello all! 

I'm doing research on the Giant Dead Leaf Mantis and I'm curious what you feed your mantids (any species). How much do you feed an adult female mantis in a week? Most people feed their mantids crickets, cockroaches, flies, and/or leps. Do you feed your mantids anything other than these feeder insects? If you could list the species of mantid along with their diet that would be perfect.

Also, if there are any people who know about D. dessicata in the wild, where have you seen them perched? Low on foliage? High in a tree? What have you seen them eating in the wild? 

Thanks!

Julie

Typically I feed mantids bluebottle, house, and fruit flies when young. Small species like P. paradoxa are fed bluebottle flies as adults. Species that become too large for these flies are typically fed crickets. In the warmer months I do supplement with feeders I catch outside. I tend to avoid most bees and large arachnids. 

I feed all my mantid species the same feeders, it just varies based on the mantid size.

To start with they get fruit flies as nymphs (Drosophila melanogaster, then Drosophila hydei). I've also fed "Turkish Gliders", wild fruit flies, and even Phorid flies to nymphs depending on what I had on hand during a hatch. My nymphs seemed to prefer the flying wild flies, not sure if the motion attracted the mantids more or if they "taste" different. Although I have given smaller species, springtail feeders as well, in their habitat substrate too. As they age they get larger prey of course - houseflies, and pinhead crickets. Then moving up to bottle flies (and random fly species in warmer moths as I set fly traps), net caught moths and a occasional butterfly, various sizes of crickets I breed, and wax moths (from my wax worm colony) (Galleria mellonella) about rounds out the feeders.

There are many other insects that can be caught wild, and some colonized too. I've played around with a few without much success last summer (such as Milkweed bugs (Oncopeltus fasciatus) as they have to be captive breed for three generations to remove all traces of their toxicity).

Regarding how much I feed them depends on their current instar, overall size (as some species can range from 1" to about 5" in size as adults), although as a main guide I use their abdomen size as a basis on the amount of feeders needed. As such I made a pictorial guide about their abdomen and feeding, for another member lately. Also you have to take into account the species and sex even, as males especially as adults eat less than females. Then of course mantids don't like to eat usually a day or two before a molt; however, after a molt or after laying a ooth they are really hungry.

A really rough guide though follows, and is what is fed once every two days (skipping a day). I would not advise using the guide for any actual feeding, but can give you an idea of what feeder prey to use. Small nymphs L1 to L2 get about five Melanogaster flies. L3 to L4 gets about four Hydei flies, or three/four pinhead crickets. L5 gets three/four houseflies, or two 1/4" (small) crickets. L6 gets about four bottle flies, or three 1/4" (small) crickets. L7 to L8 as adults vary depending on species and sex (as males eat less, and more feeders just stress them) they get two/three 1/4" to 1/2" (medium) crickets or the larger species I give two 3/4" to 1" (large) crickets, or three/four wax moths, or six to eight bottle flies (although some find them a nuisance at that point, in which case a smaller amount of bottle flies daily can work).

Also to get an idea of instar and their relative size, have a look at this image by Piotr Naskrecki from his site

tenodera_1-8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As they age they get larger prey of course - houseflies, and pinhead crickets. Then moving up to bottle flies (and random fly species in warmer moths as I set fly traps), net caught moths and a occasional butterfly, various sizes of crickets I breed, and wax moths (from my wax worm colony) (Galleria mellonella) about rounds out the feeders.
Wow! Thank you so much for your post! Very informative. I apologize for my late reply I've been out of town.

I particularly like the diagrams you've made including the mantis weight diagram. I haven't found anything quite like this in any publications or blogs. I really appreciate this information!

The fly trap is great, and I think I'll implement that with my mantids ASAP. One question, I have is do you intentionally vary the diet of the mantid? For instance, if you fed them a moth from the fly trap do you try to feed them a different insect the next time?

Again, thank you for this well-written and thought out response! 

Wow! Thank you so much for your post! Very informative. I apologize for my late reply I've been out of town.

I particularly like the diagrams you've made including the mantis weight diagram. I haven't found anything quite like this in any publications or blogs. I really appreciate this information!

The fly trap is great, and I think I'll implement that with my mantids ASAP. One question, I have is do you intentionally vary the diet of the mantid? For instance, if you fed them a moth from the fly trap do you try to feed them a different insect the next time?

Again, thank you for this well-written and thought out response! 
Not a problem we all have a life outside of the MF after all. ;)

Indeed I do the vary the diet for various reasons. For example the wax moth is said to be really high in fats so I tend to use them sparingly as a treat. Other reasons include the mantid isn't acting like it is attract to crawling prey so I will switch it to flying prey instead - and the same backwards as some mantids will tend to get annoyed at flying prey at times.

So I switch up the prey diet depending on what I have on hand (or can catch), and how the mantid is reacting to it's past prey the last few meals.

Your more than welcome for any help I can provide. I am also attaching my larger mantid feeder list for you as well (I went through and added anything that was used by me, or said to be by other users on this forum and elsewhere) - it's something I have been adding to as I find time and try new things.

Commonly ate
-------------------------------------------
Bees (Various)
Black Soldier Fly (Hermetia illucens) as flies
Blue Bottle/Blow Flies (Calliphora vomitoria)
Brine shrimp (Artemia Sp.)
Butterflies (Various)
Butterworm (Chilecomadia moorei) as moths
Camel/Cave Crickets (Rhaphidophoridae Sp.)
Cicadas (Cicadidae Sp.)
Crane flies (Tipulidae Sp.)
Field Cricket (Gryllinae Sp.)
Fruit Flies (Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila hydei)
Grasshoppers (Caelifera Sp.)
Green Bottle Flies (Calliphoridae Sp.)
House Cricket (Acheta domesticus)
Houseflies (Musca domestica)
Hoverfly (Syrphidae Sp.)
Indian/Pantry Mealmoth (Plodia interpunctella) as moths
Katydids (Tettigoniidae Sp.)
Lacewings (Chrysopidae Sp.)
Mayflies (Ephemeroptera Sp.)
Mosquito (Culicidae Sp.)
Moths (Various)
Phorid flies (Phoridae Sp.)
Roaches (Various)
Silkmoth (Bombyx mori)
Spiders (Various)
Springtails (Collembola Sp.)
Waxworms (Achroia grisella and Galleria mellonella) as moths

Picky (Only few mantids will eat them)
-------------------------------------------
Bean Beetle (Epilachna varivestis)
Beetles (Various)
Black Soldier Fly (Hermetia illucens) as larva
Butterworm (Chilecomadia moorei) as larva
Firebrat (Thermobia domestica)
Grain Beetle (Oryzaephilus surinamensis)
Indian/Pantry Mealmoth (Plodia interpunctella) as larva
Isopods (Isopoda Sp.)
Ladybugs (Coccinellidae Sp.)
Mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) as larva or beetles
Rice Flour Beetles (Tribolium confusum)
Silverfish (Lepisma saccharina)
Stink Bugs (Pentatomidae Sp.)
Superworms (Zophobas morio) as larva or beetles
Waxworms (Achroia grisella and Galleria mellonella) as larva

Wow!! Thank you so much for this list. You've been so helpful!

Have you ever cared for Deroplatys dessicata, Thomas? You mentioned that you feed all your mantids the same diet that it just depends on their size, but have you noticed any preference for a specific feeder with D. dessicata?

Wow!! Thank you so much for this list. You've been so helpful!

Have you ever cared for Deroplatys dessicata, Thomas? You mentioned that you feed all your mantids the same diet that it just depends on their size, but have you noticed any preference for a specific feeder with D. dessicata?
Your welcome. :)

No, I have had two Deroplatys lobata I raised from L3 to adults though. I know those two loved feeders that fly, in particular the larger bottle flies, wax moths, and wild moths I could catch for them - with moths being their favorite. They would eagerly track down any feeder though, and were some of my most tame and active mantids I have kept yet.

D. desiccata should take walking prey. There was a source, perhaps a book, that stated they go after Lepidoptera most enthusiastically. Spoiler alert: All mantids love flapping wings, not just desiccata. The best thing to do is emulate Mother Nature...dead leaf mimicing mantids will be exposed to prey that use legs to get around. Contrast this with flower species that see mostly prey that use wings.

They live a very long time, are very powerful, and aren't as difficult to breed as people say. Keep conditions natural and they'll do well.