Damon diadema bit me!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebster

Reaction score
Our five year old female was on the ground instead of on her cork bark, where she normally hangs out. Was worried about her so picked her up. She bit me, drawing enough blood that i had to get a napkin to stop it! Didnt mean to scare her. Hope she is ok. She is about 5 1/2 yrs old. She eats crickets. Put new moist coconut soil substrate. Does it sound like she s ok? Was she just scared or dying?

Was she just sitting there or was she all curled up like she was dying? If so, it may just have been that she was searching for water. I know she's an arachnid but mantises like to leave where they usually hang out and search for water down in a lower part of their enclosure. Perhaps it is the same thing? I would also suggest varying her diet just because crickets alone do not typically suffice nutrition wise. Like us, insects/arachnids need a variety of different kinds of food to eat. Of course I'm speaking from a mantis perspective but eh a predator is a predator.

She is likely fine and was simply startled. My medius reacts similarly upon being touched. I've been pricked good by the larger ones many times.

Thank you for your relies. She seems lively today. I spray the glass near her daily. Besides crickets, what might she enjoy (besides my finger)?

I replaced the top layer of her cage with moist cocoearth.

We had a damon medius who never bit and was friendly, and have a tinyphrinus who sits on our hands without biting.

Didnt know they could bite so hard!!

She could enjoy roaches! Granted the kind that don’t burrow since you know, substrate. Does she respond to flying insects?
A large moth or some bottle flies every now and then would help vary things. You can still use cricket as a staple but just throw in something different now and then.

Thank you for your relies. She seems lively today. I spray the glass near her daily. Besides crickets, what might she enjoy (besides my finger)?

I replaced the top layer of her cage with moist cocoearth.

We had a damon medius who never bit and was friendly, and have a tinyphrinus who sits on our hands without biting.

Didnt know they could bite so hard!!
In my experience, Damon species, and particularly diadema, are rather picky... they do seem to enjoy red runner roaches, but ignore other species like Nauphoeta cinerea. Crickets are certainly their favorites though. Moths and flies may be difficult for them to catch.

In my experience, Damon species, and particularly diadema, are rather picky... they do seem to enjoy red runner roaches, but ignore other species like Nauphoeta cinerea. Crickets are certainly their favorites though. Moths and flies may be difficult for them to catch
Im familiar with picky eaters. I had a mantis that would only eat small moths. Even ignored flies.

I think when people say something doesn't bit humans the idea is they are harmless to humans, not that superficial damage or sort-of bites are impossible. Even a worm or salamander running its mouth across your skin technically might be termed a bite. There is nothing with a mouth that technically cannot bite.

Latest posts