Dealing With Dubias

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starving Always

Reaction score
hi y'all!

ive always wanted more of a variety of feeder insects for my mantids and saw a really good deal online for dubias. I also bought the roach chow that was their food if mixed with water.

just today, i received them! Everything came perfect. They were in 2 raggy bags and I knew I had to put them somewhere. So I got 2 plastic containers and 1 for each bag, I threw them in. (Also with the egg crates) I had a sponge and filled that with water with a sauce cup lid to hold the water so it won't be running, the food, at first in a 2 oz cup, but knew they wouldn't reach it, so the food was just laying with them haha. That's basically it though. Any input is appreciated.

---------

Some questions you can answer: 

When do I add food for them? (I don't want them to be big at all)

How do I feed them to my mantids? (They can't climb, they're mostly on the floor, and their shells are so big)

How long do they last/live? (I plan to keep them for maybe a year :E)

How often should I feed them to my mantids? (I heard roaches have lots of protein, but mantids don't have bones)

Would anyone like to purchase some from me? They'll be really cheap cause i wanna get rid of many XD

20160310_234726.jpg

20160310_234745.jpg

The allpetroach forum is a nice place to get info on them. I fed mine each day, but they outnumbered me in no time. I used wet food instead of water, like corn on cob which they will chew out the inside and babies will inhabit it, and potatoes and such.