Dieball's plants

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieball

Reaction score
Hi guys !

In this thread,I'd like to share with you some photos of my plants.If you're interested carnivorous plants and have some questions,I'm your guy :)

Sarracenia flava var. flava
11r6vlf.jpg

2vvt0nr.jpg
34q5vfr.jpg

Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpa f102mk
WgE1mlQ.jpg

CKd9BUn.jpg

Sarracenia flava
o5p99s.jpg

Sarracenia alata [Angelina County]
6ssvo2.jpg

Sarracenia alata A23 'Black Tube' [Desoto National Forest, Mississippi]
2zjkwf7.jpg

urusRUE.jpg

raSBRla.jpg

Sarracenia leucophylla L55 MK 'Tarnok' Mutant flower form [Perdido, Baldwin County, Alabama] 
w6rz8w.jpg

H4Lgj9C.jpg

lp0wqxr.jpg

9ezpUpS.jpg

Sarracenia leucophylla L43 MK 'Pink upper tube'
34yybkm.jpg

Sarracenia rubra RJ5 subsp. jonesii 'Anthocyanin free '
2btmb8.jpg

8DR1nNk.jpg

Sarracenia minor
dbHpsQN.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some new pictures from my collection. Enjoy! :)

Nepenthes fusca
15qum1g.jpg

Nepenthes bicalcarata 'Red flush'
a5bSXBT.jpg

N. 'Miranda'
XRfffvb.jpg

N. 'Hookeriana'
ad6pHHG.jpg

Nepenthes ampullaria Lime Twist
9SIijxm.jpg

Nepenthes glabrata
aZa1b0T.jpg

Nepenthes ampullaria Green and Harlequinn
G0Kr8s0.jpg

N. campanulata
0DOs4dt.jpg

Nepenthes mirabilis var. globosa x hamata
Jh16z88.jpg
1PO2o6K.jpg

Nepenthes spectabilis x ventricosa
hoXfqki.jpg

rSYCjEI.jpg

Nepenthes [lowii x veitchii] x spectabilis
7EJUnui.jpg

Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides
ygwdSHP.jpg

Nepenthes lowii x ventricosa
66pPKag.jpg

FcjbsUt.jpg

O9zTzZL.jpg

0BRHXTg.jpg

RVJ14rr.jpg

@Dieball Amazing to see the large amount of varieties you have, and I always thought there were just a few. ;) The Nepenthes bicalcarata 'Red flush' I find astonishing, it seems to stand out with it's shape and spikes on the lid (to keep the insects trapped I imagine).

It appears you have a nice greenhouse as well for them. :)

@CosbyArtThe number and diversity of carnivorous plants species is really mind blowing if you look into that. I have nearly 150 different species, hybrids and variations of carnivorous plants and surprisingly... I don't have a greenhouse :D  I keep them all in my small, rented room. I'm just really space-effective I guess :)

Take this Pinguicula (Mexican Butterwort) terrarium for instance. It's only 30x50cm and it holds dozens of plants! Just wait until they all start blooming at once :D

7eLXYar.jpg

P. gracilis
GDr557a.jpg

P. agnata
0xT87Au.jpg

P. ehlersiae [Ixmiquilapan]
lSV5EaE.jpg

P. cyclosecta
EYSGHbm.jpg

Pinguicula 'Aphrodite'
Gi0eQrc.jpg

Pinguicula 'El Mirador'
MiwrZnu.jpg

Pinguicula laueana
7dYODvV.jpg

KBS9iwP.jpg

Pinguicula emarginata
aK62AVz.jpg

Pinguicula gracilis x emarginata
m5v6rIK.jpg

To the left is Pinguicula agnata x jaumavensis, on the right Pinguicula 'Tina' at the bottom Pinguicula ehlersiae [Santa Catarina]
zq4vPpA.jpg

YLE2re7.jpg

Pinguicula gracilis (?)
2Pz0mb7.jpg

Pinguicula sp.
U55C51O.jpg

Pinguicula ehlersiae [Santa Catarina]
J3fKVWK.jpg

Pinguicula 'Tempa'
Sd8sHje.jpg

Pinguicula agnata x jaumavensis
kB85Knl.jpg

Debbertiana or esseriana?
V5AeulL.jpg

Pinguicula agnata x gypsicola
GBi4WFq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my first fly traps this last month. I got two and they seem to be happy. Question, do the leaves die off quickly and should they be removed?

@hibiscusmile It really depends on the clone. Some tend to clump amazingly, while others just keep a few leaves at the time. Also, before the plant establishes itself in new environment it will lose leaves faster. I have a habit of removing leaves as soon as the first black spots appears on it, because it cannot be saved anyway. I break off the leaf near the ground and then place it on the soil. This way you'll get a new plant once in a while. 

@CosbyArtThe number and diversity of carnivorous plants species is really mind blowing if you look into that. I have nearly 150 different species, hybrids and variations of carnivorous plants and surprisingly... I don't have a greenhouse :D  I keep them all in my small, rented room. I'm just really space-effective I guess :)

Take this Pinguicula (Mexican Butterwort) terrarium for instance. It's only 30x50cm and it holds dozens of plants! Just wait until they all start blooming at once :D
That is a lot of species, and I imagine took quite awhile to gather. :) Ah, I figured with what appears to be plastic and shelves in several photos were a greenhouse, especially seen in the Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides photo. Indeed you are very space efficient, and do surprisingly well without a greenhouse.

I've read many require a greenhouse or similar setup so I've never bothered with them. Perhaps I should see about trying some after all. :D

That is a lot of species, and I imagine took quite awhile to gather. :) Ah, I figured with what appears to be plastic and shelves in several photos were a greenhouse, especially seen in the Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides photo. Indeed you are very space efficient, and do surprisingly well without a greenhouse.

I've read many require a greenhouse or similar setup so I've never bothered with them. Perhaps I should see about trying some after all. :D
The  Nepenthes spectabilis x aristolochioides is placed in my highland terrarium... let's say "mini-greenhouse". I've made it myself with 16mm polycarbon, to gain better temperature isolation. It's 150cm high, with a base of 90x40cm. I manage to drop the temperature every night by 10*C by simply putting frozen bottles (around 20 litres total). So it's really not that hard to keep those plants. I'll show it later today, or maybe tomorrow :)  

Just a couple new photos :)

Drosera regia
ian7epd.jpg

Drosera alicae 
dr30ia.jpg

Drosera capillaris
JYNY0lU.jpg

Drosera latifolia [Itarare, Sao Paulo, Brazil]
ExRxb1B.jpg

Brocchinia hechtioides
hZV9Fi3.jpg

Utricularia pubescens
10ol4cj.jpg

Dionaea muscipula 'Dutch'
Wlyj0nZ.jpg

Dionaea muscipula 'Red-Green"
ZPvGXcs.jpg

Dionaea muscipula 'Akai Ryu'
Z70dLYB.jpg

@Dieball Amazing collection, that keeps going. ;) Your plants are thriving and what a mix of species too. I imagine it took you several years to get to this point. :D

Well I did have one of the species you shown, the Dionaea muscipula. Around here the plants show up at two stores Walmart and Lowe's in the mid to late fall, right before the garden areas close for the year. I still wonder why so late in the year, perhaps for Halloween or such is my guess.

Of course even watching for them to appear in the store, they all have mostly black leaves/heads or already a dead mush. :(

My family was determined to keep one living and bought several each fall. The best so far lived a few months seemingly growing well, at which point it seemed to start it's winter dormancy period and never recovered sadly. They also tried the old seeds often sold as small kits at retail stores off and on too, and of course never got anything to grow from it besides some mold after they gave up and left it alone defeated.

If they ever get serious they just need to get a mini greenhouse and order the plant from a dealer online. :)

@CosbyArt Thank you :)  

I must surprise you... It didn't take me as long as you think, to amass such a collection and knowledge to maintain it... I started on 02.10.2015 :D  I just passionately amassed all the knowledge I could find, talked to tons of experieced growers and compulsively looked at the sales sections of all biggest CP forums, which allowed me to grab all the best deals :p  I am even a proud owner of the only (most probaly) Nepenthes lowii x ventricosa in Poland. 

As for your flytrap, they are pretty easy to keep, as far as you keep in mind a few unbreakable rules:

-Plastic pots are best. The taller, the better, to avoid root rotting.

-Water it from the bottom of the pot, after a day it drains all the water.

-Use only purifed water (from reverse osmosis/demineralized) or rainwater

-It must be planted in peat moss without any fertilizers (fertilizers are a big no-no for CPs), with addition of coarse sand or perlite in proportions of 2:1

-Give it plenty of sunlight. The more the better!

-Remember that each trap can be closed 1-3 times. After that, the leaf turns black and dies.

-During winter dormancy keep it barely damp. I water my venus flytraps once every 2-3 weeks. And very mildly too. Also, the temperatures are best at 0-10*C

Keep those 7 things in mind, and your next flytrap is bound to thrive :)

So you have any cephalotus my dad loves them?
Yup I do have two of them, but they are pretty tiny still. I've propagated them from leaf pullings, from my friend's plant. But they are surely a slow grower.

@Dieball That is much quicker than I would have thought, to have so many various species of CP. :)

Thanks for the tips I will have to pass them along and see if they can keep them next time. Funny enough this year was the first they didn't bother buying any, so they may have finally given up. I figured when it comes spring time I'll have to order the flytrap online for a fresh one from the start either way. :D

Today, I'd like to show you some plants from my favorite genus: Heliamphora. They originate from mysterious tabletop mountains in Venezuela, called Tepui, which inspired Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Lost World" 

Heliamphora 'Midoxa' 
7fuYY9s.jpg

Heliamphora cilliata
vggunF6.jpg

G7aCYtd.jpg

11j44l0.jpg

Heliamphora huberi [Bonettia Forest]
yjeZuNn.jpg

Heliamphora exappendiculata [Amuri Tepui]
bSVU607.jpg

Heliamphora exappendiculata [ChimantaTepui]
pfjfrVa.jpg