Easy to Keep Outreach Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pannaking22

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for mantids that are easy to keep and would be good for outreach events? My university has its annual Insect Fear Film Festival in February and I want to start looking into good mantids to get before it gets cold. I don't mind rearing to adulthood, so I would likely get nymphs to save on costs and the stress of winter shipping (weather in central Illinois in February is unpredictable on a good day). We used a few of my personal mantids at the previous IFFF, along with a couple very gracious donations by Aryia and Peter, and they were all a colossal hit! I don't actually have any mantids right now, so I'd to get a few for myself and a few for IFFF.

The insectary here is a little warmer than room temp and very dry, but if need be I can keep the mantids at my house where I have more control over the conditions. My girlfriend goes into the insectary three times a week to take care of all the roaches/tarantulas/lubber grasshoppers, so she can do any necessary care for mantids too.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my list of mantids that might work. (They will all need heat packs for being sent)

1. Ghost Mantis

2. Giant Asian/African mantis (different species)

3. Chinese mantis (only sometimes)

4. Carolina Mantis

5. Cryptic Mantis

Well there are actually some. I recommend:

Double shield mantids (very aggressive and good for feeding them large food)

Indian Flower mantis

Arizona bordered mantis

Budwing mantis

Red eyed devil katydid

Any mentioned above

Thanks for the replies! We've used ghosts, giant Asian, Chinese, and Carolina mantids for outreach in the past and they have always been popular. I forgot to mention, the species we had last year were:

P. wahlbergii

D. desiccata

D. lobata

I'll have to start looking these up. I recognize a few of them and looking forward to learning more about the rest! And always a good call for the red eyed devil katydids! I've always wanted to get a few of those for myself and for outreach. So cool looking and they would go well with our eastern lubber grasshoppers.

Very cool! :) Yet another mantis to keep in mind. I'll talk with the other outreach coordinator here and hopefully we'll be able to put a list of mantids together we want to get

Awesome! We'll discuss a bit and put up a WTB ad! Not sure what our budget will be like, but we should also have some things for trade if nothing else (mainly roaches, but I may have some beetles and spiders or scorpions I can part with).

Latest posts