Egyptian Pygmy mantis (Miomantis paykullii) Hatched - ooth 15

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
One of the two Egyptian Pygmy mantis (Miomantis paykullii) ooth's I got from Steve (SSimsswiSS) hatched yesterday (Friday). Amazingly, only 8 days from when it arrived at my door. :D

The original count was 88 nymphs, but 7 more hatched today from the ooth, so only 95 so far. 
laugh.gif
I hatched them in one of my 9 ounce containers as I figured they would slowly hatch (some at time) like my others did lately - but oh well, as you can see by the first photo there was room for more on the lid (even with the ooth).

I know the adults are only 1" in size, but I would never guessed the nymphs would be so tiny. In my third image you can see a Carolina mantis that hatched on Thursday, 1 day apart, on their lid for size comparison (nearly double).

I've already split up the mantises into small groups and put them into my nymph cups. Due to their small size I figured they would be alright for at least a molt together. Currently they are in 15 cups, and you have to really look to see them in the cups. :D

I'm curious to see how they will do with Melanogaster fruit flies tomorrow. I figure if the flies are too large I will fill their cups with Springtails, as I have tens of thousands of Springtails easy, until they can handle a fruit fly.

ooth15.jpg

ooth15-nsize.jpg

ooth15-cvm.jpg

ooth15-nymph.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lovely!! and i have limited fruitflies!!! but my culture is developing so fingers crossed
My 2nd ooth hasn't hatched yet, and as the species lays a ooth every 1 to 2 weeks that may leave up to a month before it hatches. If nothing else in the meantime if you have Springtails that would work until the flies start producing.

Congrats on your new tiny babies!!!
Many thanks! It's great to have a big hatch versus all the small ones I've had lately - and a new species for me too :D

So happy for you.. Keep us updated!
Lol, thanks they are fun. I had three more hatch today, and 1 dead - but that brings my total to 99 of the Pygmy nymphs. As this species typically has between 30 - 100 eggs per ooth I'm only 1 away from the max. :D

I also fed the nymphs Melanogaster fruit flies today, even those tiny flies are half the nymph's body. As I using organza mesh on the lids it took some work to get a photo (as it is a reflective fabric). Here is the best I could get, but you can see their sizes.

ooth15-1st-feed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crab apples!! that means that my miomantis Paykulli ooths are going to hatch any day now. I better get nymph cups good and ready. I bought two from SSimsswiSS too. :)

Holy crab apples!! that means that my miomantis Paykulli ooths are going to hatch any day now. I better get nymph cups good and ready. I bought two from SSimsswiSS too. :)
Well congrats they are some fertile ooths :D My second ooth hasn't started hatching yet but should soon, and I imagine the same for yours. :D

I always fed by baby Egyptian mantises the D. melongaster (spelling?) and never had issues.

Yes - they are small - but most Egyptian mantises have spunk and a will to live!

This is definitely a fun species as some of them are real characters. (=

I always fed by baby Egyptian mantises the D. melongaster (spelling?) and never had issues.

Yes - they are small - but most Egyptian mantises have spunk and a will to live!

This is definitely a fun species as some of them are real characters. (=
Glad to hear it. As you can see above they are able to grab and eat the Melanogaster which is amazing - so far so good

Sounds good, can't wait to see them develop. :D Do you still keep this species?

Wow!!! So small
That they are I was shocked. I figured all nymphs were similar in size, which is obviously not true. I'm really curious how tiny some of the other species are, that have even smaller adults than the Egyptian Pygmy's. ;)

Glad to hear it. As you can see above they are able to grab and eat the Melanogaster which is amazing - so far so good

Sounds good, can't wait to see them develop. :D Do you still keep this species?

That they are I was shocked. I figured all nymphs were similar in size, which is obviously not true. I'm really curious how tiny some of the other species are, that have even smaller adults than the Egyptian Pygmy's. ;)
No Thomas - I don't. However, my mantis area currently saturated. My current species are a little more friendly (boys in one enclosure and girls in another). (=

No Thomas - I don't. However, my mantis area currently saturated. My current species are a little more friendly (boys in one enclosure and girls in another). (=
I understand. I've already tried 3 species so far, with 1 more species to hatch. ;)

mine just hatched today
I thought I read that in Steve's feedback - congrats! :D Will your flies be ready for the first feeding?