Eight Females, No Males

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curiosity

Reaction score
Okay, this one is going to make me sound a bit like a desperate spinster with Munchausens by proxy. As per the title, I have eight adult female mantises and one juvenile male (L5, maybe). The females are all European; the nymph may not be. Any suggestions as to how I could find a male mantis? I mean, I'm not really prepared to spend half of all the money I have to spend on a bug I can (theoretically) find in my backyard. 

Man, I'm doing a terrible job of putting this in words. . . 

Any ideas?

@MrGhostMantis Tried it. I've been trying for three weeks. No results. Not sure wether that means the females are too young or if it means there aren't any males in the area. . . probably the latter. I've had those females for weeks; they were adults when they were first found.

@MrGhostMantis Tried it. I've been trying for three weeks. No results. Not sure wether that means the females are too young or if it means there aren't any males in the area. . . probably the latter. I've had those females for weeks; they were adults when they were first found.
Could be possible they are all ready mated if you found as adults.

@Tonypace2009 Yeah, maybe. About three of them were found as adults; one was very obviously pregnant. I'm taking care of her egg in hopes it will hatch. I've also found a couple eggs outside. 

I don't have a clue if any of them are fertile or not. I'm just going to take care of them as if they were and pray they hatch. 

Latest posts