European Mantis Ootheca Care

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MortBird

Reaction score
I've recently come across a European mantis ootheca and may have another one on the way. I've found mixed responses on whether or not European mantids need a diapause to survive incubation, so I'm wondering- can I put this ootheca in a ventilated jar at room temperature, and wait for hatching? Or should I put the jar outside (in a house plant, maybe?) so that it can receive it's natural diapause?

Thanks for any and all help :)

Do I have to put it in the fridge or is it ok to just stick it outside? Currently it's inside a plastic container with a few small holes, sitting in the pot of a plant on our back porch. Is that ok? I figure it will be under the same conditions as all the other mantis oothecae, so it should be fine? I guess there's no risk to putting it in the fridge, is there?

Do I have to put it in the fridge or is it ok to just stick it outside? Currently it's inside a plastic container with a few small holes, sitting in the pot of a plant on our back porch. Is that ok? I figure it will be under the same conditions as all the other mantis oothecae, so it should be fine? I guess there's no risk to putting it in the fridge, is there?
It will probably be okay outside, but sometimes ooths can get parasites from being outside. It wouldn't be very likely because of the low temperatures, but you can never be too sure when spring comes. I'd personally keep it in the fridge.