feeding a mantis fireflies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow Mantis

Reaction score
I have a level 3-4 African Mantis. Since the fireflies are starting to come out in my area and are easy to catch, can I feed them to her? I am not sure if she is large enough or if they will be potentially deadly to her.

Thank You

I advise against it. Fireflies in North America are poisonous and have been known to kill pet lizards. Not sure if the same would happen to a mantid, but I wouldn't want to take the chance and find out.

I tried feeding my asian mantis Fire flys once. It grabbed the fly, looking like it wanted to eat it, took a taste and threw it away very fast. They definitely dont like them. I figure The fire flys give off some kind of defensive odor or substance that wards off predators.

I feed them to my mantids. No problems with it. My grandis' will eat them in about two bites. Of course they will eat about anything.

Hello,

I agree with Rick I feed some to my spiny flower male and female mantids and they are just doing fine :D

Hey guys, there is probably hundreds of different species of fireflys. Some poisonous, some not. Buy a insect guide, so you can look up anything you catch, and read whether or not its poisonous before risking your mantis. Thats what i do..

My mantids don't look up what bugs are harmful before eating them so neither do I :D But of course the only wild insects I feed are the ones I already know not to be harmful. I don't feed bees or wasps for obvious reasons however I see wild mantids eating them often.