Feeding Mantids honey

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantidfinatic13

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if its good to feed mantids honey. I have seen that it is a controversial and widely debated, and i have fed them honey twice and they all loved it. in many cases somebody has said their mantids are sick and usually somebody says to feed them honey. For example, if a mantis isnt moving, sometimes people say to give it some honey to help. Can you only feed them honey when they are sick and how often caN you feed your mantis honey if you even should feed them honey at all?

I have heard (from a breeder I know) that some honey has trace amounts of pesticides in it from the plants the honey was gathered from. I looked it up and found its actually true that a lot of honey (up to 75% from one source) contains pesticides called neonicotinoids. Will the amounts be harmful enough to hurt a mantis? Not sure; I doubt any studies have been done. But I always go with organic honey just to be safe. Just something to consider....

EDIT: Just looked at that again and read that neonicotinoids are just what they sound like, pesticides that are "like nicotine." Nicotine and any derivatives are known to be a wide range pesticide, and one that works in small doses!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard (from a breeder I know) that some honey has trace amounts of pesticides in it from the plants the honey was gathered from. I looked it up and found its actually true that a lot of honey (up to 75% from one source) contains pesticides called neonicotinoids. Will the amounts be harmful enough to hurt a mantis? Not sure; I doubt any studies have been done. But I always go with organic honey just to be safe. Just something to consider....
Yeah, organic honey is good. Especially like the organically sold honey sticks.

Yeah, I don’t know.  I figured a more processed product would undergo a bit of sterilization or refinement.  Honey producers pride themselves in being all natural.  Nature ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.  Plus, syrup’s a lot cheaper.  Some waxworm breeders have switched to high fructose corn syrup.