Feet falling off, humane euthanasia, and other things

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonovanXFrancesca

Reaction score
So first off I would like to ask if anyone has ever had feet fall off a mantis? I've had quite a few, most all s. Limbata, and sometimes I'll have ones who just lose their feet. For no reason. They aren't cut or bitten, they just fall off at the lowest segment of the leg... I've attached photos of the current case I have. This one also has lots of "dead" spots on her body, although the others I've seen did not so I'm unsure if there's a correlation. I found her missing a wing cover which I assume was bitten/torn off, but she's got all sorts of little black areas all over her body and it only seems to be spreading. I'm wondering if the marks are just her skin dying because she hasn't shed in probably 8-9 months as she's approximately a year old. I should also note my other female has developed this too and I've never seen it before. They should be visible in the photo

For the second topic: what would be the best way to help a mantis pass on? I have two females, both s. Limbata about a year old, and they're both aging pretty badly. Francesca is the worst... She can't grip things anymore or hold herself upright. She has no drive to eat, even when I hold guts to her mouth, and she barely moves. Sometimes when she moves she shakes.. it's just sad to see and so I'd like to help her go instead of watching her starve for weeks before she dies. 

My plan is to leave her outside. She's out there now and it's nice and sunny with a breeze and she seems to be enjoying it. I've put her on the easiest to grip leaves on my apple tree sapling among the flowers because I figured since she was born out there that's where she should die, y'know? I can't handle any direct methods such as squashing so I thought letting her go how she would have done naturally is best. It's dropping to 38F tonight, is that cold enough? 

If you guys have any other ideas on how to make it easiest for her I'd appreciate it. I understand they're "just bugs" and don't feel pain or emotion and all that, but I give a lot of meaning to their lives however I can and it feels best to give them respect I would any other animal. 

And a final question, have any of you ever had a mantis bite you and break the skin? Sometimes when Honey is grooming on me she'll reach my skin and then starting biting as hard as she can. She's left little indents before so I wondered if she could possibly draw blood or something.

Thank for all your help everyone and sorry for the long post

20200202_132354.jpg

As mantids get older they often lose leg tips. What happened to this mantid's wings? 

I euthanize mine in the freezer. I usually keep them in there a few hours, but I imagine they probably die within minutes. In my opinion, it's the most humane way. If you've cared for it and it's brought you joy, it's more than just a bug. 

I've had a few nips that have made me bleed, but most of them were unintentional or my fault. 

She should pass on tonight if your temps are 38, but would be faster to freeze her. It's up to you, but she won't live long either way.

Sorry for your loss. :(

- MantisGirl13 

As mantids get older they often lose leg tips. What happened to this mantid's wings? 

I euthanize mine in the freezer. I usually keep them in there a few hours, but I imagine they probably die within minutes. In my opinion, it's the most humane way. If you've cared for it and it's brought you joy, it's more than just a bug. 

I've had a few nips that have made me bleed, but most of them were unintentional or my fault. 
Both of these mantids are wild caught and that's just how I found Honey, the one in the photo. It seems her actual wings are drying out and flaking away though which is odd. I would try the freezer but I live with my parents and theyll probably lose it if I do that.. I figured this way was the quickest, most meaningful way I could help her go, although it does make me sad because it's not the quickest way and it's also started raining... Poor girl... 

She should pass on tonight if your temps are 38, but would be faster to freeze her. It's up to you, but she won't live long either way.

Sorry for your loss. :(

- MantisGirl13 
With how sad and limp she's been today I'm wondering if it was her last few days anyways... A few hours is better than a few days though, I would think. 

They are more than bugs to many of us so you are not alone. I freeze my older companions when they look like they are having a hard time. Sometimes, I wish they had longer lives.
Me too... It's so sad these guys only live 7-9 months happily and then degrade so heavily after that. It's just so depressing to watch my little girls who were so spicy and energetic reduced to shaking, limp bodies... But I guess that how it is sometimes.. it'll happen to all of us, y'know? At least they have us to help them as best we can.

how sweet you are. God bless for caring about a bugs feelings!
Thank you :) it feels nice to have gratification for that... Most people just shame you for it. But I know here I can be honest with how I feel for them.

Thanks everyone for your replies and your support. I just checked on her and she's definitely on her way out. It was rather heartbreaking though because when I picked her up to move her to a more comfortable spot where she wouldn't fall she gripped me as hard as she could and stared at me with those little fake pupils :( shes trying so hard but there's just no fight left... I hope she feels better wherever it is mantids go when they pass. Who knows, maybe I'll have some little Francesca's when spring comes?

I wasn't able to check on her this morning but here's a photo my mom sent me of her on the tree :( I'm not sure if she's still alive so I'll have to see when I get home

123_1.jpeg

Sorry for your loss.

I burry my dead mantids too in my garden. I have a corner in my garden i call mantis cemetary. keep the pics you made of Francesca.

Latest posts