Flesh eating plant seeds?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinder151

Reaction score
Ive liked flesh Eating plants since ive been a kid, had a few flesh eating plants before when i lived in a bigger town, but i was looking on internet and found a shop who sells seeds and i wonder how long time a Flesh eating plant takes from growing from seeds to adult.

Really really long. By the end of their first year, the big ones are about half an inch.

If you mean carnivorous plants, they're primarily insectivorous--most species will react poorly or die if you give them any sort of meat.

Temperate species can be started very easily by seeds, but the seeds must be cold stratified in damp medium in the refrigerator. It takes them very little time to germinate if cold stratified, but they will not grow to maturity until they're into their second or third year at their fastest.

Tropical species can be started easily from seeds if the seeds have not been refrigerated. The seeds need to be sowed fresh and refrigeration or slow sowing can cause poor or no germination. Most tropical species mature very slowly and take several years to approach maturity.

I have cape sundew seeds I could set you up with. Also have plantlets available. They are 'typical' and 'albino'.

PM me if interested.

:D

Also, these need no stratification and can be planted on arrival. Growth also depends on how often they are fed. I feed every leaf and they shoot up in about half the time unfed plants grow.

Check out care info:

http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/Drosera_capensis.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I did buy the kit a couple of weeks ago the seeds are in the fridge.. I thought something else to show the grandchildren...

All carnivorous plants grow very slowly from seed so your best bet is to acquire some divisions off another grower. Also, CP seeds are only viable for a VERY short period of time (couple of weeks at best) so it's best not to buy seeds off people you don't know or 'grow-kits'. These grow kits usually contain seeds of normal plants such as strawberries and the ones that DO have CP seeds in are usually too old to be able to germinat.

In the case of Dionaea (VFT), Darlingtonia (Cobra-lily) and Sarracenia spp. (N. American pitcher plants), they are all temperate species so their seeds will need to be cold stratified before you can get them to germinate. Germination usually takes a month and these can can about 5 years from germination to fully-grown mature plants.

In the case of temperate Drosera (sundews), they need a period of cold stratification as well and they can grow pretty slowly.

In the case of sub-tropical Drosera (sundews), they are fairly easy to grow as they can just be sown and will reach maturity in around a year.

In the case of pygmy Drosera (pygmy sundews), they can take long to grow from seed but you get get mature plants in about 4-6 months if starting from gemmae.

In the case of tuberous Drosera (tuberious sundews), they can take very long to grow from seed but you can get mature plants in about 8-24 months if starting from tubers (depends on the size of the tubers).

In the case of temperate Pinguicula, you need to give the seeds a period of cold stratification and will grow slowly but you can get mature plants in about 8-24 months if starting from gemmae (depends on the size of gemmae).

In the case of Meixcan Pinguicula, they take their time to grow form seed.

I wouldn't recommend Cephalotus (Albany pitcher plant) or Nepenthes (Tropical pitcher plant) from seed as they are very hard to grow.

I love growing CPs from seeds as every individual offspring is genetically different from one another and I hybridise different species and etc. but I have been in this hobby for a couple of years now so I know when to expect what and so on. However, if you're just wanting to start out in growing CPs, plants from seeds take absolutely ages to grow so I would recommend buying divisions or established plants off people you know and trust. Flytrapcare one of the largest US forum (if not the largest) for carnivorous plants and you can see what people are offering in the Sales and Trade section.

So basically, CPs take AAAAGES to grow from seed to mature plants compared to normal houseplants so any species of sub-tropical Drosera such as D. capensis, D. aliciae and D. spatulata will be the best for beginners if you really want to grow some CPs from seeds.

+1 with others

All carnivorous plants with the exception of most sundews take an incredibly long time to grow from seed. It takes most of them 2 years to get like 2 inches across. you'd be much better off buying a well established plant from a good CP nursery (not garden centers and such). some personal favorites are flytrapstore.com, cobraplant.com, californiacarnivores.com. You can also find them at many reptile fairs.

All carnivorous plants grow very slowly from seed so your best bet is to acquire some divisions off another grower. Also, CP seeds are only viable for a VERY short period of time (couple of weeks at best) so it's best not to buy seeds off people you don't know or 'grow-kits'. These grow kits usually contain seeds of normal plants such as strawberries and the ones that DO have CP seeds in are usually too old to be able to germinat.

In the case of Dionaea (VFT), Darlingtonia (Cobra-lily) and Sarracenia spp. (N. American pitcher plants), they are all temperate species so their seeds will need to be cold stratified before you can get them to germinate. Germination usually takes a month and these can can about 5 years from germination to fully-grown mature plants.

In the case of temperate Drosera (sundews), they need a period of cold stratification as well and they can grow pretty slowly.

In the case of sub-tropical Drosera (sundews), they are fairly easy to grow as they can just be sown and will reach maturity in around a year.

In the case of pygmy Drosera (pygmy sundews), they can take long to grow from seed but you get get mature plants in about 4-6 months if starting from gemmae.

In the case of tuberous Drosera (tuberious sundews), they can take very long to grow from seed but you can get mature plants in about 8-24 months if starting from tubers (depends on the size of the tubers).

In the case of temperate Pinguicula, you need to give the seeds a period of cold stratification and will grow slowly but you can get mature plants in about 8-24 months if starting from gemmae (depends on the size of gemmae).

In the case of Meixcan Pinguicula, they take their time to grow form seed.

I wouldn't recommend Cephalotus (Albany pitcher plant) or Nepenthes (Tropical pitcher plant) from seed as they are very hard to grow.

I love growing CPs from seeds as every individual offspring is genetically different from one another and I hybridise different species and etc. but I have been in this hobby for a couple of years now so I know when to expect what and so on. However, if you're just wanting to start out in growing CPs, plants from seeds take absolutely ages to grow so I would recommend buying divisions or established plants off people you know and trust. Flytrapcare one of the largest US forum (if not the largest) for carnivorous plants and you can see what people are offering in the Sales and Trade section.

So basically, CPs take AAAAGES to grow from seed to mature plants compared to normal houseplants so any species of sub-tropical Drosera such as D. capensis, D. aliciae and D. spatulata will be the best for beginners if you really want to grow some CPs from seeds.
your growlist goes to a uk site that you need to sign into.. Thanks for all this info

Latest posts