Fly question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantid-Tim

Reaction score
So for those of us that use flies for feeding--house-fly, GreenBF, BBF,etc.; not fruit flies--what do you feed them and how do you keep them. What I mean is after they hatch I put them in a separate, 32 oz., feeding container. I put some powder used for fruit fly cultures for food, and water sprayed on the side. 

My problem: The powder gets wet and some of the flies get stuck in it.  Most stay on top and come down and go back at will. But I lose like 10-15% of my flies due to this....  (I like the fly powder because of the nutrients and the flies love it.)

Any ideas? Better, dryer food source that's healthy for mantids? 

This is my feeding container: 20201122_131154.jpg

P.S. I can't just feed out all of them in lieu of feeding container because I have 15 mouths to feed and it just doesn't work out where I always have enough.

P.P.S Thanks in advance for the help gals and guys! 

Can you put powder on one side and spray on the other?
That never works. I try and it just eventually mixes.

try my cup o flys.. You jut each in separate cup and they don't drown due to the humidity foam or wood chips, whichever you use for the water. here is link. https://www.mantisplace.com/product-page/cup-o-flies-mesh-lid
Now that looks perfect. I'll order one next time I order blue bottles. Question: are your BBFs larva or pupa?