FlyCafe.net

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-MK-

Reaction score
I was surprised not to see a thread about FlyCafe, so I'm starting one because their cultures produce loads of flies, (they sell melanogaster and hydei) can last for months, and it's about 5 bucks for a 32-ounce deli cup full with the ventilated lid, which can be used for other things once the culture finally stops producing flies. They also sell the same 32-ounce deli cups with ventilated lids empty for cheap - like 6 bucks for 10 of them. I've ordered from them twice, and I'm about to order more stuff from them this week.

I've ordered a few cultures from Flycafe great prices and great cultures.

I have used Flycafe quite a few times as well. If you need flies now he will pack the cup crazy full. I also use his fly Media as it seems to be about the best out there. Very good price on everything as well. Shipping is only $5 (for 1 cup) I think, so if you are running low on cultures you can revamp them for $10. Highly recommended.

Ordered some golden fruit flys on Monday and got them Wed in top shape! Bought a fresh culture and it's PACKED with flies. I really was impressed with the pretty cheap prices as well. I paid 4.95 for the culture and 5.55 for shipping. All in all I had a good experience with them for my first purchase from them and look forward to more when I need flies :>.

Update: Tons of maggots and lil cocoon thingies now.

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes: hummm. I thought we had a post for them, if so maybe a mod can move these... I order from them a few times, just got one order a few weeks ago, am interested to see if they insulated anyone elses boxes? Mine came with just some newspaper around them and was almost froze, so far two are still alive, but I don't see any maggots from the cultures I made, and am wondering if they are sterile from being that cold? Does anyone know if thats possible? Also even thought a lot of flies, does no good if u cannot use the adults for more cultures and they smell bad, every time I go by my feeder room the smell comes out, can't wait till they die so I can say I tried and get rid of them.

Mine was also wrapped in Newspaper but I didn't have the same problem you indicated :<. I'll keep an update next time I order some more.

:rolleyes: hummm. I thought we had a post for them, if so maybe a mod can move these... I order from them a few times, just got one order a few weeks ago, am interested to see if they insulated anyone elses boxes? Mine came with just some newspaper around them and was almost froze, so far two are still alive, but I don't see any maggots from the cultures I made, and am wondering if they are sterile from being that cold? Does anyone know if thats possible? Also even thought a lot of flies, does no good if u cannot use the adults for more cultures and they smell bad, every time I go by my feeder room the smell comes out, can't wait till they die so I can say I tried and get rid of them.
Cold definitely causes sterility in D. melanogaster males, but they regain their fecundity some time after the temp returns to 21C http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=13672882). I do not know, though, whether the sterlile males stop mating or if they are just shooting blanks. If the latter, then it is very likely that the seminal fluid causes changes within the female's uterus that would prevent her from mating again. Tomorrow, I shall do a search on how cold affects the larvae. Meanwhile, maybe someone else knows a lot more about this than I and can tell us what's what.

Got the 5 culture deal on some hydei. All arrived in good shape. Price was good too.

*EDIT: Wanted to mention that out of the five cultures I bought, two dried up without producing any flies.

*Second Edit: Make that three cultures failed. Also, whatever they use in these cultures really stinks. I had to stick the two remaining cultures in the garage. My entire house smelled. I have never had that happen with my own cultures.

I won't be doing business with this vendor anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW I just got a couple of cultures from Mike and I'm very pleased. He worked with me trying to see if he could ship by a cheaper method but with it being 95 degrees and the mail arriving as late as 2 sometimes, I went for the faster shipping. Even so, the cultures were just starting to get warm from the ride in the mail truck. He sent a ton of flies, with the cultures tailored to what I needed. Great prices too.

As for smell, I stuck my nose right on the lids and they don't smell different from any ff cultures I've had (mostly from Carolina) in the past 40 years. Not the sweet/yeasty/vinegar smell of the cultures I'm making today, but not bad either. Of course, this might change over time.

Mike/FlyCafe.net - Highly recommended, IMO.

I can see there are mixed opinions about Mike/Flycafe. For me, they are great! I did have a problem with my Hydei but it's my fault (kept them close to a light WAY to long lol and they dried up. STILL trying to get the culture going but there are like 4 of them left lol!!!) I ordered Mels and Hyds both. Mels are doing GREAT right now!

The smell isn't bad at all.