Found some of my Mantis pics!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghostie

Reaction score
Well I do my share of fishing now and again. I also post on a fishing forum under the name "Tacklejunkie" as I love collecting tackle.

Anyways, I posted pictures there last year or two ago of a mantis I found in my back yard! He kept me company for a couple days! I think he was using the light on the wall next to him as bug attractant at night!

Here's the link to the pictures. Sorry to direct you guys offsite but I figured it would be easier than transferring all the pics here.

I have always liked praying mantids! This be my proof! haha.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?25749-Another-critter-from-the-back-yard..&highlight=praying+mantis

There's even a short video clip on that page. The mantids eyes changed color too!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the pic with 3 of them! It's a feeding frenzy when there's that many!
laugh.gif

Nice pics. That's an Iris oratoria (Mediterranean mantid). Those are quite common here in California, or should I say the bottom half of California. Another thing, it's a she (males have full wings).

Thanks for the I.D.and sexing! :) Although I'm afraid she is years old by now and likely a gonner. :p Maybe I will have another one day now!

Do most Mantis eyes change colors at will or with day/night? That's awesome! She went evil mode.

I think the two little things in the pic with her are the bugs that the light was attracting for her! Her "Prey" :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: