fruit flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I juust read an ad that has a different species of fruit fly for sale.  ! Zaprionus indianus These are not native to the uUS and are an invasive

species, Please think twice before  using these flies, They are harmful to crops and it is best to just kill them off.  thank you for considering.

Understandable. I personally trust Alex, the one advertising, to be responsible with their containment but having an invasive fruit fly available for the hobby may not be the best either. They can easily escape containment if not chilled properly and careful eye is kept on what leaves the culture. However, said creator of cultures does not seem like the kind of person who would start up these cultures without looking at the legality and risk of it. We'll just have to see what they say. 

ok it looks like Cornell just updated their permitting rules to include Zaprionus indianus, so I am NOT selling that species any longer

last year when I placed my order, only Drosophila suzukii needed a permit to order

It's been in the States for a while.  I'm surprised it's made it all the way to the northeast, since it's primarily a tropical species:

"Zaprionus indianus, an invasive vinegar fly, was found for the first time in Adams County, Pennsylvania, in 2011"