getting ready to release my babies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevenoaks

Reaction score
hi all, youve helped me along the whole way, and now i need final info from you all.

my nymphs have been eatting, molting(about 4-5 times already and are about 2" now.Chinese mantids) etc. very well and the temps here at night are almost 60F . i will wait until they are stable to release but just to get prepared i need help

i have privit 6'hedges along my whole property, is this a good place, or the alberta spruce/boxwood thick hedges right next to the foundation. i also have yew hedges next to the foundation on the driveway where i found the momma. i dont know where the best place for release is. also, are they going to be able to survive without me handing them flys? they have it pretty easy now. i dont see much of a food source out there right now for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on where you're located. In many areas there isn't much large food available yet. I would release in the area you found the other one. Hedges are not often where you find a lot of chinese mantids due to them needing a lot of food. Not a lot of the right kind of food in hedges. But, if you found on there before that is the best place.

Well, mantids have survived for thousands of years without you feeding them by hand so they will be fine in that regard. Keep in mind though that once you release them you will likely never see them again. Their chances of making it to adult are very slim. The world is a dangerous place for a small mantis.

After caring for them and all why are you going to release them anyways? The only time I released a Chinese back into the wild was when I caught one on a neighbor's window screen., it was really uncomfortable around us and even after two weeks did not demonstrate any signs of becoming use to being handled or even approached to clean it's enclosure. So, I took the tank out and let her go free!! If I were caring for them i don't think I would be able to just let em go!!

The night temps are prob ok, as long as they have the shelter, like Rick said they survive without us, just hope it is not like a domesticated animal and they only depend on us, but I don't think they do, they see something move and it is DINNER!
tongue.gif
PS, IT IS HARD BEING A PARENT! :tt2:

Last edited by a moderator: