Ghost colour variations

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The variation in ghost colouration is one of the things that makes me love them so much. These are three of the females we are holding back from our oothecae. They all came from the same ootheca and have been kept together under the same conditions.

09DDD64B-11D7-4853-A427-9F4C428603CF.JPG

1DD09482-BE2C-49FC-83AC-248249F4CC71.JPG

8CADE02D-77C5-4564-B340-57185C00DB8E.JPG

94F74803-C3F0-47DB-96E8-3A1E1356449E.JPG

A little hint. If you get a light coloured ghost and keep them slightly more humid (misting every day) they are more likely to turn out green as an adult if they are female.

5 mantids, all light colored except 1 dark. Left the dark with high humidity and it didn’t change color. The others stayed yellows and brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've experimented too.

- MantisGirl13 
What were your findings?

5 mantids, all light colored except 1 dark. Left the dark with high humidity and it didn’t change color. The others stayed yellows and brown.
Hardly a large enough sample group to completely rule it out though, plus you would need a control group to compare your findings against. I’m not saying I’m definitely right in any sense, but important to keep open when it hasn’t been empirically proven either way 😊 also this may actually be more proof that they need the green genes for it to happen rather than a proof against light colour mantids turning green with higher humidity. 

I'll be interested to see the outcome. I'm currently doing an experiment with a change in perch colouration with a whole ootheca too. Not in any way big enough to actually prove anything but interesting nonetheless. I'd love to hear from @MantisGirl13about her results. 

oh yeah absolutely, but that why I said that there's most likely a genetic component. All I am arguing is that there is possibly an environmental component too. Obviously none of the stuff we have talked about actually proves anything. So many variables that haven't been brought into consideration.

I once had a ghost that would completely change colors between molts. It went between green, gold/yellow, and then brown. It ended up staying in a gold/yellow color as an adult.

Your ghost mantis are stunning. I hope to raise a ghost mantis next and would be amazed at any of these colors honestly.

Question: are you using a dslr camera or your phone? The images look very sharp and clear :)

Your ghost mantis are stunning. I hope to raise a ghost mantis next and would be amazed at any of these colors honestly.

Question: are you using a dslr camera or your phone? The images look very sharp and clear :)
Thank you! And it’s actually just my IPhone XS. I’ve had it for a while and have only just really started to realise how good the camera is. 

Glad you like them 😁

Latest posts