Ghost mantid breeding?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patience, ghosts can be infuriating to breed. Don't do anything to startle them, I would recommend not even being in the same room while they get started.

In the lighter picture, the male was soon spooked off but he was so enthusiastic he got back on in less than 10 minutes, in the second picture. He’s been riding on her for about half and hour yet but has yet to connect, my hopes are high!

Attachments

• F2EABF0D-A3FA-4EC3-B2A1-01108934F1ED.jpeg
    F2EABF0D-A3FA-4EC3-B2A1-01108934F1ED.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 089EBC38-B8E9-4FB4-8C85-519A520F9D6D.jpeg
    089EBC38-B8E9-4FB4-8C85-519A520F9D6D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
In the lighter picture, the male was soon spooked off but he was so enthusiastic he got back on in less than 10 minutes, in the second picture. He’s been riding on her for about half and hour yet but has yet to connect, my hopes are high!
He’ll ride for a while, just give him some time. Looking good!

still been riding for about an hour half now, but i'm feeling hopeful, i have a small slit i peer into every now and then, beside that there's no other movement around them
I saw him attach his rear with hers so there was at the least an attempt, but her was disconnect 4 hours later which seems to soon, fortunately he tried to get right back when I tried feeding her even more food so I guess he’s eyes on the prize, hopefully I’ll wake up to good news!

Attachments

• 84159F76-78D5-41E8-A4B7-8AD4E9242444.jpeg
    84159F76-78D5-41E8-A4B7-8AD4E9242444.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
My other ghost who is about the same age has laid two eggs by now, on the other hand my oothbound one has tried once to lay but only got 1/10 of an ooth out of her, they've both been kept warm and very well fed and similar diets.
That’s really sad dude. I hope she manages to get that ooth out of her. I wish we knew how to help them.

That’s really sad dude. I hope she manages to get that ooth out of her. I wish we knew how to help them.
yeah, I don't know why it's happening in one and not the other, maybe I fed her too many mealworms, I've heard the amount of cuticle and fiber can mess with a mantid? I tried breeding her last night because I saw my other ghost lay eggs at an incredibly increased rate after mating, a shot in the dark but it was worth a shot

yeah, I don't know why it's happening in one and not the other, maybe I fed her too many mealworms, I've heard the amount of cuticle and fiber can mess with a mantid? I tried breeding her last night because I saw my other ghost lay eggs at an incredibly increased rate after mating, a shot in the dark but it was worth a shot
Mealworms are a very nutrient poor food for mantises because of the large fat content. They need a high protein diet with insects such as (gutloaded) roaches and flies. If she is "stuck", the best thing you can do is give her lots of water. Grasshoppers are also good for females that are going to be laying eggs too.