Ghost mantis detached ootheca - next steps?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gom

Reaction score
Hi all!

We're pretty new to mantis-keeping over here, but we did successfully rear 1 male and 3 female ghost mantises to adulthood, and the male has mated with at least one of the females. She laid an ootheca on the side of her enclosure (a plastic cup/bucket), rather than on one of the twigs that we provided her, and the ootheca became detached and fell to the ground.

Do we need to do anything with it to ensure that the eggs inside will still hatch? I've heard that orientation can be important in some species.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

~Gom

I've had luck using Elmer's glue. Place a thin film of glue and let it dry for for a couple minutes until it's tacky, then carefully attach the ooth to the under side of a vented 32oz cup lid. Let the glue dry completely and then place it back on the cup. I say let the film of glue dry until it's just tacky to prevent any moisture to penetrate the ooth. I've found the position of the ooth isn't as critical with this species. I've never had an issue doing this. 

You should wait for someone else to respond... they may have a better solution. Good luck! 🍀

Thanks for the advice! Now just in the "wait and see" phase...

~Gom

Latest posts