Gonatista grisea - the hunt is on

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlayingMantis

Reaction score
I’m in Florida for vacation and spent a day exploring a state park, and I figured I might as well look for bark mantises. I found a grand total of... 1 empty ooth which seems to have been parasitized. As for actual mantises, I’ve had no luck. I tried checking all the trees along the trail but found nothing but a bunch of lizards. Anyone had any luck finding them in the wild?

Btw I’m in the Orlando area. 

14F60186-921A-472B-B8BA-123E032F1354.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a long stick and knock higher on the tree to get them to move. I usually find them 10-15 ft. Up and have to coax them down. 

View attachment 12144
Hmm interesting! I can try hitting the trees with a stick, but how do you get 10-15 ft up lol? My tree climbing skills is not up to par 🤣

I’m going to another park near Apopka, FL today. 

The closest thing to looking for a needle in a pile of needles I may have ever seen!

Good luck, @PlayingMantis I think I would likely never find one of these guys, just based on their amazing camouflage. I'm rooting for you! ❤️ 

Look for a branch that's 7 ft tall or so and use it to tap the tree at 10-15 ft up. Once you see them move you have to kind of brush them to go down low enough for you to catch.

20181023_144240.jpg.fecdbd8c951919792d5f95dd4541deff.jpg

I had to look twice to see the mantis sitting there. A very good camoflage👍

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in North Florida and never seen one while hiking.  Those bastards are pretty fast, too.  Luckily, i was able to buy a nymph to add to my vivarium once it gets larger.  Let us know if you find any!

Latest posts