Gongylus ooth - hatching rate?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlayingMantis

Reaction score
I've been candling my Gongylus ooth in order to track the development of eyeballs, body segments, and legs. I see at least 10 nicely developed embryos inside the ooth, but today, only 1 nymph hatched. Strangely, the lone nymph emerged in the afternoon, while my previous ooths, of various different species, always hatched in the morning.

Question is, do Gongy nymphs all hatch at the same time, or is it possible that they emerge over the course of a couple of days? I wonder if the rest of the nymphs are fatally stuck the ooth, or if they still have a chance to hatch.

I guess the easiest way would be for me to wait and see what happens...but I am ever so eager to know beforehand!

I am not an expert by any means, but I mated 3 females and all have been laying ooths like crazy. I have started to see my first ooths hatching the last 2 weeks. Here is what my experience has been.

Mine always hatch in the afternoon between one and three. I have had anywhere between 8 and 25 nymphs hatch and always have a stragglers or two every few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been checking this thread lately. But yeah, only 2 nymphs ever hatched out of the ooth. I could see the eggs were fertilized because there were eyeballs inside, but they never hatched. I'm not sure what was the problem. The female laid other ooths that developed eyeballs but never hatched. Upon cutting open the ooths, I discovered dead, fully developed embryos, which was really heartbreaking.

Since then I bought another ooth which hatched 12 nymphs at around midnight. Normally ooths hatched in the morning so I was surprised to see little nymphs right before I went to bed. The next day, another little nymph emerged.

Currently I have another ooth incubating and it has ~20 eyeballs.

Glad to hear of your success, Karrie!

Yesterday night, at around 10pm, my gongy ooth hatched 30 nymphs! I kept the ooth near a heating pad and the air inside my home is naturally extremely dry due to the heater being on all the time.

I have also noticed that when the oith doesn't hatch completely don't toss it I have had them hatch week or two after the ooth initially hatched.

Yes, totally agree! For example, my Hierodula majuscula ooth popped out 1-2 nymphs each day for a week. I was very bummed the first day, when I saw only 2 nymphs. The final count was only around 20 nymphs though.

Latest posts