Guessing the ooth species

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am preparing a display for the museum on ootheca species. Anyone is welcome to make guesses for the species, the photo is not very good but enough to make guesses. :?: Have fun, treat this as a game :wink: maybe the winner can get a free mantis :D

guess2.jpg

guess1.jpg

This is amazing. Just wondering, how many species have you kept ever since the beginning?

I'm no good at this, but I think #8 looks a lot like the desert pebble ootheca. And maybe #3 is orchid.

Im guessing 4 is a bark mantis (dont know the latin name)

8 might be a dead leaf ooth

11 looks like a flower mantis ooth

18 a unicorn mantis?

Awesome stuff Yen!

I'l give it a guess :D

1 - The top and length look a little like my last Psedempusa ootheca, but not so much the top, so I am guessing it is not that.

2 - Hierodula Sp?

3 - Hymenopus Coronatus?

4 - Wahlbergii?

5 - pass

6 - Cilnia?

7 - Tenodera?

8 - Desert pebble?

9 - Gongylus?

10 - Blepharopsis? (Same kind of colour...)

11 - Nigerian flower (Can't remember name!)?

12 - Phyllocrania?

13 - Also looks like Hierodula P.

14 - pass

15 - That awesome species you had photos of earlier, but can't remember the name!

16 - Hierodula Patellifera (sp - looks kind of like the shape of them)?

17 - Popa sp?

18 - Phylovates?

19 - Changed to Stagmomantis!

20 - Miomantis?

21 - Burnerria?

22 - pass

23 - Sybilla?

24 - Pass

25 - I recognise this, and its the same shape as Blepharopsis ootheca!

26 - Pseudothorax?

27 - pass

28 - Grass mantis?

Just a few guesses there!

Very cool project yen! I think #3 is Orchid mantis (Hymenopus coronatus). #2 I think is Giant Asian (Hierodula membranacea) , #6 I think is wide arm mantis-Cilnia humeralis. #19 is stagmomantis. That's all I got though.

how many species have you kept ever since the beginning?
I have kept well over 40+ species, wished i have kept more oothecae instead of throwing away during my first 2 yrs of mantis keeping.

Ian, you have got most of it right, well done!!

If anyone still wanna make a guess, don't scroll down. I am giving away the answer right at the bottom of the page

answer2.jpg

haha, im quite disappointed the answers are already up, i wanted to throw in a guess for

28 - oxypilus

:( anyways nice idea/thread!

Yen,

Any chance you could send me a photo of that poster. That looks like something I would like to have on the wall of my bug room! Since I doubt I will ever see that many different species' oothecae, the photo would be nice to have. Maybe I can blow it up to poster size?

:lol: haha! sorry Ian can't afford the trip but will send you something nice. I will PM you.

Yen, Any chance you could send me a photo of that poster. That looks like something I would like to have on the wall of my bug room! Since I doubt I will ever see that many different species' oothecae, the photo would be nice to have. Maybe I can blow it up to poster size?
HI Mike,

THe display will be on this week as the HOuston Museum of Natural Science is renovating the insect zoo. I can take a better pic then and send you the electronic copy no problem. By the way, you will get some ootheca of different species this coming week sorry i have been busy.

That picture helped identify my Mantids. lol. I posted a picture of their mother and we were undecided if it was a Stagmomantis Limbata or Carolina. She laid me 3 ooths and they were all very similar and darn if they dont look EXCATLY like the ones you have marked as a Limbata. Hmm, pretty nifty!

I'd love to make it a poster too, think you could send me a nice email copy too Yen?

Yes not a problem, i wished they make 3D photo too :)

If you don't mind waiting Butterfly, i can send you the copy next week as i won't be back in Houston until then.

Hey who knows i can make a living from this :twisted: Nah... no worry guys it is free. I have a larger size file for the pic but this site limit the pic size to fit into a page (or it is just on my comp?)

Latest posts