Guys I'm rearing bottleflies indoors!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok folks,
so I think I've cracked the code on rearing bottleflies indoors without stinking up the place
1: I have them in a grow tent
2: I add food in very slowly. A few ounces of wet dog food at a time. There have been no complaints of a bad odor!

I have a big sleeve net cube with the adults in it. I provide water, nectar I make, bee pollen, and crested gecko diet for them
about 2 weeks into adulthood, adults start ovipositing in the crestie food. Then, I move this to a bowl within a net cage that has a few spoonfuls of chicken or liver based wet dog food. I add more as they use it up. They leave the bowl and pupate in the net cage. I will get some pics of this tomorrow!

ok folks,
so I think I've cracked the code on rearing bottleflies indoors without stinking up the place
1: I have them in a grow tent
2: I add food in very slowly. A few ounces of wet dog food at a time. There have been no complaints of a bad odor!

I have a big sleeve net cube with the adults in it. I provide water, nectar I make, bee pollen, and crested gecko diet for them
about 2 weeks into adulthood, adults start ovipositing in the crestie food. Then, I move this to a bowl within a net cage that has a few spoonfuls of chicken or liver based wet dog food. I add more as they use it up. They leave the bowl and pupate in the net cage. I will get some pics of this tomorrow!
How do you remove the adults to feed them off? Also is your crestie food just in powder form or do you add water?

How do you remove the adults to feed them off? Also is your crestie food just in powder form or do you add water?
The cage has a sleeve
I will take pics later. I've had a busy weekend with a mental health crisis so it has to wait a few days

I add water to the crestie food!!!

I love that!
I grew up with Spongebob, so things like this immediately come to mind lol.

I can't remember what bottleflies Forked Tree Ranch sells, but they're in a different genus lol. The blue bottlefly that people usually purchase for their mantises is Calliphora vomitoria. These guys are much bigger than what you sell. I'm pretty sure agentA's method refers to these flies as well. It would be pretty awesome if you started selling these guys instead.

Last edited:

I can't remember what bottleflies Forked Tree Ranch sells, but they're in a different genus lol. The blue bottlefly that people usually purchase for their mantises is Calliphora vomitoria. These guys are much bigger than what you sell. I'm pretty sure agentA's method refers to these flies as well. It would be pretty awesome if you started selling these guys instead.
forked tree ranch rears Protophormia terraenovae
I rear Calliphora vomittoria

ok here we go!!
20220930_145303.jpg

larvae, note the moderate level of food. don't overdo it!
20220930_145311.jpg

fresh pupae
20220930_145308.jpg

cages for the larvae side-by-side
20220930_145416.jpg

cage for adults. I have 3 cups, 1 with water, 1 with nectar, 1 with maple syrup solution, a dish of bee pollen, and a dish for crested gecko diet!! they usually lay eggs in the gecko diet!

That’s gross but cool lol. Wonder if ground up beans would work too? Probably would stink just as much though if not used in the proper amount.

I can't take on something else. This last year I started rearing in earnest superworms and meal worms and some other feeders, flys have to take care of them selves.