GUYS MY MANTIS WAS PREGNANT

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunina

Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm totally SHOOK
My mantis reached adulthood like one month ago, everything was fine and normal, usually I keep she free in my room because she likes to stay in my curtains 
Since she grew wings, she used to not fly much because most of the time, she was like ''fat'' and too heavy for it, so she only could fly small ranges
Because I was too busy, sometimes I left her without food for like 2 or 3 days, and even so, she was still ''fat'' in the abdomen! I never understood it, well, I understood that maybe she was still full
But even so, after like 3 or 4 days waiting for her to get ''thin'' and hungry again (I didn't want to overfeed her) she was still like fat, and of course, I started to ignore her body shape and feed her normally, I thought her abdomen was really like this then
Yesterday, I had to take her off my room and put her inside her terrarium because we needed to clean my room, and I left her in her terrarium from yesterday to today
I really noticed she was a bit changed.. Like, a bit more scared and agressive than usual

Then today, I found a brown nymph and started to take care of it, and so I went check my adult praying mantis AND THERE IT WAS A OOTHECA NEXT HER
WTH
I don't know how it happened, SHE NEVER SAW ANOTHER PRAYING MANTIS BESIDES HERSELF, and this ootheca appeared from yesterday to today, I'm really not getting what happened here
Now she's very thin, I wonder how I didn't know before, but how could I imagine this???? Is it possible to put a ootheca without the intercourse with a male? If so, then everything is explained, but I'm really not getting REALLY IM SO SHOOK

Another question, is she going to die soon then?? Because I thought she would live until december (When I found her as little nymph) she only has 6 moths :((((((((

Thank you guys :((

What kind of mantis is she? There are a few mantis species that can reproduce parthenogenetically (without having mated). And there are also a few that normally need to mate in order to have a fertile egg case (ootheca), but sometimes if they don't mate there may be a single nymph that hatches out pf the egg case which is a clone of the mother. I had this happen to a Carolina mantis a few years ago.

Where did you find the brown nymph? is is possible it came from outside or a plant or something? Did you find it in the terrarium?

If you raised your female from a nymph and she never mated with a male she obviously wouldn't be able to make viable egg cases. Unless the nymph was a clone or something like I said above.

Mantis egg cases also need to incubate before hatching, which usually lasts a few months. So even if she just laid the egg case yesterday it is unlikely the nymph is from that egg case. Maybe she laid another egg case in the terrarium but it was hidden and you didn't notice it? Not quite sure! But this certainly is a mystery! :unsure:

Hope you find out what is going on. Good luck with your mantis nymph.

Also adult female mantises normally lay around 2-5 or so egg cases so she is perfectly healthy to do so. female mantises also can live a long life, upwards of maybe around 5-8 months as adults. So unless she is looking lethargic or sick she should hopefully live a little while longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of mantis is she? There are a few mantis species that can reproduce parthenogenetically (without having mated). And there are also a few that normally need to mate in order to have a fertile egg case (ootheca), but sometimes if they don't mate there may be a single nymph that hatches out pf the egg case which is a clone of the mother. I had this happen to a Carolina mantis a few years ago.

Where did you find the brown nymph? is is possible it came from outside or a plant or something? Did you find it in the terrarium?

If you raised your female from a nymph and she never mated with a male she obviously wouldn't be able to make viable egg cases. Unless the nymph was a clone or something like I said above.

Mantis egg cases also need to incubate before hatching, which usually lasts a few months. So even if she just laid the egg case yesterday it is unlikely the nymph is from that egg case. Maybe she laid another egg case in the terrarium but it was hidden and you didn't notice it? Not quite sure! But this certainly is a mystery! :unsure:

Hope you find out what is going on. Good luck with your mantis nymph.

Also adult female mantises normally lay around 2-5 or so egg cases so she is perfectly healthy to do so. female mantises also can live a long life, upwards of maybe around 5-8 months as adults. So unless she is looking lethargic or sick she should hopefully live a little while longer.
Oh thank you so much!!! 
In fact, I have her since she was in the first stage, so In fact I'm sure she never met any male, so it means the ootheca won't have any baby for sure or it has the chance of having babies?
The nymph I found today in fact wasn't hers, because she's green and the one I found is brown, I found it outside home and now I'm caring it again, its so small and cute! I bet it only has some days...
I'm almost sure the mantis I have is an african mantis, thank you so much for your answer, I feel more calm now haha

Glad I could help @Brunina.  Since she didn't mate there is very little chance any babies will hatch out of the ootheca.

If you found the nymph outside it is most definitely from a wild ootheca hatch, possibly a Chinese mantis, though I can't say for sure what kind it is without pictures or anything. 

Though just so you know many nymphs, at least from what I have seen, are usually brown when they first hatch out and then they turn green or different colors with successive molts. But that is only what I have seen in the species I have cared for, it might be different for other species of mantises. But you can pretty much say for sure the nymph you found is not from her.

Good luck with your little nymph and adult female.

Latest posts