Hello from a new mantis keeper!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owldoggo

Reaction score
Hi, my name’s Jasper! I’m an artist and an animal lover with a special soft spot to reptiles and insects. I’m very new to the mantis-keeping hobby— in fact, I haven’t ever had a mantis yet! My very first mantises will be with me in around two or three days, both Hierodula majuscula nympths that I ordered from Mantidkingdom. I just got the enclosures finished earlier today, even. 

I’ve always loved mantises since I was little and my love for them has only grown the more I’ve learned about them! I registered onto this forum so that I’d be able to learn more and talk to more mantis-loving people (who are likely much, much more experienced than I am) and just show off my first mantises growing up in a place perfectly meant for it as opposed to spamming my friends with energetic “look! They’re eating!!!” And “look! Their first molt!!!” texts, haha! 

Honestly, I’m a bit nervous. I’ve spent many days researching mantises, such as what’s the best enclosure setup, what’s the best species to get, what’s the best thing to feed mantises at different ages, etc. I want to give my new six-legged friends a great home and a great life! 

Thank y’all for accepting me into this community. I’m looking forward to not only the knowledge and the resources I’ll find in this place but also all of the people here as well. 

Welcome! You are in the right place and I think you'll fit in well with. 

Don't be nervous! H. majuscula are fairly easy to keep, and you bought from the right person. I got my first exotics from DeShawn at mantidkingdom too! 

I think the key is to just not overthink the care. Don't agonize over if they are eating enough or have the perfect humidity level. You'll do fine! If you have any questions, feel free to ask on the forum! Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question. 

- MantisGirl13 

Welcome! You are in the right place and I think you'll fit in well with. 

Don't be nervous! H. majuscula are fairly easy to keep, and you bought from the right person. I got my first exotics from DeShawn at mantidkingdom too! 

I think the key is to just not overthink the care. Don't agonize over if they are eating enough or have the perfect humidity level. You'll do fine! If you have any questions, feel free to ask on the forum! Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question. 

- MantisGirl13 
Thank both of y’all so much!! : D 

might post a couple of questions a little later on when it’s not so late in the night for me. 

Hey @Owldoggo! Welcome!

Seems you're already well setup. DeShawn is a highly respected breeder. You've got it all right so far! ;)

I'm looking forward to see your posts, and see how you're getting on!

Cheers!

Glad to hear you did some research before getting your first mantises. I didn't and it was a wreck. So you're already doing much better than I did :)  

Hope everything goes great! I totally want to hear about their first molts and the like. . . 

Latest posts