Hello from Carolina

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunOfRa

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to the mantis world. I have always enjoyed them, but never had the chance to keep one as a pet. One day in Spring, I ran across what I thought was an ant outside my parent's home. It ended up being a nymph (Stagmomantis Carolina). I went to the local pet store and picked up a nice little atrium and some fruit flies and prepared my new home for my little friend. By the time I had found that this site existed, my little buddy had molted into a full adult but had taken a turn for the worst, passing away today. I plan on getting another mantis, or a few mantids, and find an intrigue with these beautiful and complex insects.

Welcome! Very nice to have you here - I'm sure you'll love it as much as I did! (And still do... :) )

Have you been thinking about any species of mantis in particular?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking about getting a Phyllocrania paradoxa next. They look so fascinating!
Hey! I'm new to keeping them as well, and I have a few weeks experience with Phyllocrania paradoxa. They are calm and very inquisitive. Every now and then they'll go a little crazy and run around, but for the most part they like to just chill and hang upside-down. They've been kind of lazy when it comes to "hunting" their prey as well.

I keep all of mine in the same container, but I do have to watch out. I have little fear that they'll eat each other, but they do like to play "rock 'em sock 'em robots" every once and a while.

They've been an absolute joy to keep and it's very relaxing to just sit down and let them eat fruit flies out of your hand. I also have a Chinese mantis and she is much more active when it comes to hunting. However, the Ghosts seem to enjoy exploring a bit more than she does when I take them out to play. It's funny, because it's the complete opposite when I put everybody back in their cages.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm really excited to have found this fantastic hobby.

Thanks everyone. Rick, loved the pictures from the Bugfest. Awesome to see you live only a few hours away! I look foreward to talking to everyone and thanks again for the warm welcome.