Hello from North Carolina! (I have a question)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCMantis

Reaction score
Hey! I’m new to mantises and bought my first mantis a week or two ago from USMantis.com, but instead of getting a ghost mantis like I ordered, I got a ghost mantis Ootheca. I’ve prepared many deli cups for the babies and put the Ootheca in a deli cup with paper towels to keep the humidity (it’s on my light so it’s warm). I’m still concerned about the shape though and if it will hatch or not. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Did he say how old they were or when they should hatch? Why did he not send the ghost? Those ooths are not fresh. Is why I wonder.
Also take out the towel, mist them 3 times a week with distilled or rain water. In winter I shovel clean snow into
my water bucket and bring into the Bugatorium © to melt. Been watering them and plants for years this way. Do you have a little excelsior or raffia to put in cup for them to run around on, being it hatches.

Last edited:
Did he say how old they were or when they should hatch? Why did he not send the ghost? Those ooths are not fresh. Is why I wonder.
Also take out the towel, mist them 3 times a week with distilled or rain water. In winter I shovel clean snow into
my water bucket and bring into the Bugatorium © to melt. Been watering them and plants for years this way. Do you have a little excelsior or raffia to put in cup for them to run around on, being it hatches.
He didn’t say anything about them. I think he accidentally mixed up packages or something. Also what do you mean by they aren’t fresh. Will they still hatch? Also I have coconut fiber, but I have deli cups for each of them when they hatch.

Last edited:
New ghost ooths are light green and age a they get older. As for the cup, I wouldn't use it. Someone else may, but for nymphs i use excelsior. droplets of water can drown new hatchings so I use a clear cup and excelsior so i can see them. They do not need the substrate in there. Someone got a pic they can show for them?

New ghost ooths are light green and age a they get older. As for the cup, I wouldn't use it. Someone else may, but for nymphs i use excelsior. droplets of water can drown new hatchings so I use a clear cup and excelsior so i can see them. They do not need the substrate in there. Someone got a pic they can show for them?
What does the excelsior do besides let them climb on it? Also I’ll transfer it into an empty cup right now.

What does the excelsior do besides let them climb on it? Also I’ll transfer it into an empty cup right now.
It helps to keep them calm. The exelsior helps keep the hatchlings from feeling exposed and start wandering around in their container when they don't have any exelsior.

Hey! I’m new to mantises and bought my first mantis a week or two ago from USMantis.com, but instead of getting a ghost mantis like I ordered, I got a ghost mantis Ootheca. I’ve prepared many deli cups for the babies and put the Ootheca in a deli cup with paper towels to keep the humidity (it’s on my light so it’s warm). I’m still concerned about the shape though and if it will hatch or not. Any suggestions?
You.we’re supposed to return the ooth. I sent you a return label!

Latest posts