Hello! Toronto Photographer looking for help :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kphotography

Reaction score
Hi there!🌿💗

I am a Toronto based photographer looking for some help to source an adult mantis for an upcoming photoshoot of mine, which is taking place in about 2 weeks. I would love any advice or suggestions of where I could get one.

I am wondering if there are any mantis pet owners who live in the GTA (Greater Toronto area) or in Ontario that would be interested in coming along and allowing me to photograph their pet. I would greatly appreciate it and I would provide the photos afterwards! I am also open to suggestions for where I can buy one locally or if there's a place that is able to ship to Canada. If I end up going the route of purchasing, I will of course take care of it and give it a good home once the photoshoot is complete! I have done some research and will be continuing to do so with this website as a new resource I have found, and I'm confident I can take good care of it. I'm excited to learning more and some of you can be of help :)

p.s. a little backstory on the inspiration of this shoot: I found a mantis outside in the grass last year, it was very friendly and we spent an hour together and quickly became pals. So I wanted to do a photoshoot because of how beautiful I think these lovely lil creatures are and I want to capture it.

As far as I know, we cannot ship mantises from the U.S into Canada because of Canadian restrictions so we're obviously off the table. I would recommend going out and searching for a mantis outside since that might be easier than hunting down someone who breeds them in Ontario/Toronto. You could try searching for Facebook groups that breed them locally.