Hello!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roaming

Reaction score
Hi!  I'm new around these parts and just wanted to say hey.  I have yet to own my first mantis as I am currently finishing preparations before purchasing!  I did have a quick question about feeders though.  I'm planning on purchasing an L2-L3 ghost and was wondering what a good feeder option for it would be since I won't need an entire culture.  I haven't seen anywhere to purchase small portions of hydeis anywhere, and i'm not sure that some flies in a bottle would survive very long.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

-Roaming

Hello and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

At L3 Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa) are ready for houseflies, see caresheet here. So at the L2-L3 instars the smaller false stable flies are a better option, and can be purchased from Mantisplace. The larger fruit fly species Hydei are often fed until mantids molt to housefly stage (L3 for Ghosts) simply for convenience, because once FF are bought they are easy to culture new ones continuously - and are still within a appropriate feeder size until houseflies.

For fruit flies though they can be bought in smaller culture vials (also at PetSmart or PetCo usually if local), but FF need to eat and will breed so a culture is the only option. If you notice though, the small vials cost just as much as the typical 32oz ones, so it won't save money. If you are looking for less flies from a ethical/care aspect of the fruit flies, I know some do, I can say there is seemingly nothing that can be done to improve their lot and usage. Honestly the size of the culture has little bearing on their population as if feed properly, they will over populate any container.

Also FF can be bought just as flies or FF pupae at limited shops online, but they have to be added to a culture for feeding unless used directly as feeders when they emerge from the pupa stage.

Welcome!  As CosbyArt said, you can't really get away with avoiding a fruit fly culture if that's what you're feeding, even if the numbers that come out of the culture are way overkill.  You just have to use what you need and let the rest complete their life cycle.

Good luck with your new ghost once it arrives!

Hy & Welcome Roaming , as mentioned earlier drosophila' will survive only  a couple days outside of a culture . You'll just have to jump in with both feet and raise  more mantids .......... ha, ha ........ S