Help with mantis with stuck moult

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderpants

Reaction score
I had some new L2 orchid mantises turn up yesterday. The breeder warned me that they might start to moult to L3 as her unsold nymphs from the same ooth were moulting, Sure enough, one was lying on the floor of its pot when it arrived. I assumed it had died while moulting en route, but a while later I noticed that it was still moving a bit. The breeder suggested spraying the pot, dabbing the mantis with water, and sticking the shed skin to The mesh top with sellotape, which I did. A day later, it’s not shed the skin but is still alive. Euthanasia may now be the only option, but I thought I’d ask here first. I managed to get a reasonably detailed pic, and it looks like all the legs are stuck. Would it be worth trying to cut or pull the old skin away?

40F021FB-F073-4B67-8F15-BD81A7F3B4C0.jpeg

Euthanasia may now be the only option, but I thought I’d ask here first. I managed to get a reasonably detailed pic, and it looks like all the legs are stuck. Would it be worth trying to cut or pull the old skin away?
I agree. There's really nothing you can do for the poor thing at this stage. 😕

I’m nothing if not persistent! I’ve just spent a couple of hours with a magnifying glass and a pair of nail scissors, removing as much of the shed skin as I though I safely could. She’s now able to move her legs at least, and is now being given all the honey she can eat as a treat and an easy way to get some strength back.

I’m nothing if not persistent! I’ve just spent a couple of hours with a magnifying glass and a pair of nail scissors, removing as much of the shed skin as I though I safely could. She’s now able to move her legs at least, and is now being given all the honey she can eat as a treat and an easy way to get some strength back.
Great job!!

Latest posts