Help with Sexing!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliman707

Reaction score
I have made 3 seperate orders for 2 Euchomonella Macrops, 1 male and 1 female on each order online. So far they all seem to be male to me. Im hoping that maybe there is a distinguishing feature for sexing this species. I cant find any abdomen pics of female e. macrops nymphs, I have only seen adults with the wings blocking view of the abdomes. Im almost positive that they are male but I have just been wanting a female so badly that Im hoping I am wrong! So if anyone has a picture of a Female Euchomonella Macrops(Asian Branch Mantis) nymph, or knows a link where I can find one, I would really appreciate it! Or does anyone have a trusted seller where I can buy a female? Or mantids in general?

Are they adults? Adult abdomens have the same features regardless of species for the most part.

Are they adults? Adult abdomens have the same features regardless of species for the most part.
No, I think they are L3's or L4's. I saw some pictures you posted showing the end of the abdomen of a male and a female. The way I understood your description was that if those 2 antenae like things on the tip of the abdomen are pointing towards eachother it's a female and if they point away from eachother it's a male. Does that work with most species? I counted the segments but Im just really hoping that this species is different. I tried attaching pics but the smallest photo I could take was around 800kb, and I don't know how to setup a link. Thanks for your help!

No, I think they are L3's or L4's. I saw some pictures you posted showing the end of the abdomen of a male and a female. The way I understood your description was that if those 2 antenae like things on the tip of the abdomen are pointing towards eachother it's a female and if they point away from eachother it's a male. Does that work with most species? I counted the segments but Im just really hoping that this species is different. I tried attaching pics but the smallest photo I could take was around 800kb, and I don't know how to setup a link. Thanks for your help!
I don't think the point in vs. point out will work in all cases or early like L3 or L4. Counting segments is best done later.

Here's one example of the earliest that I can tell:

L3-L4 limbata pictures

There's a 'sticky' in the Mantid Photo forum:

How to post a picture thread

I don't think the point in vs. point out will work in all cases or early like L3 or L4. Counting segments is best done later.Here's one example of the earliest that I can tell:

L3-L4 limbata pictures

There's a 'sticky' in the Mantid Photo forum:

How to post a picture thread
Thanks for the input Kamakiri! It was extremely helpfull! I didnt know that the 7th and 8th segments combined as the mantis grows to be female. Sorry if I did this link thing in a sloppy way. Your link for that was very helpfull aswell. The 1st link is a picture of the mantis that I hope is a female and the second link is the mantis Im almost positive is a male. Thank you so much for your help!

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

it might be male but not 100% right now. After 4th or 5th molt, you will see female considerably larger than male. Female has very short wings while male has longer wings just like in any Stagmomantis spp.

Here is the adult female i had 3 or 4 yrs ago.

eucho1.jpg

I think you've got it right, the one you are hoping is female probably is. Once the 6th segment gets significantly larger than the 7th and 8th it's likely a girl.

The 2nd pic you posted also shows the last segment often called a 'cup'. That one looks like a male.

here are the pics, the green ones are bigger beacuse they moulted before this pio(they moulted this mourning)

DSC02815.jpg

DSC02818.jpg

DSC02819.jpg

Are they all girls :(

Good News! Right after I made the post saying I will post more pics when she molted I looked over to see that she was in the process! That was my 1st time actually witnessing a molt from begining to end. If this one ends up being female that will mean that I actually have 2 females and 3 males! The 1st picture is the mantis Im pretty sure is female and the 2nd is the mantis Im guessing is male. Please let me know your diagnosis. Although now I think it is probably pretty obvious!

L4 Female?

IMG_0776.jpg

L4 Male?

IMG_0784.jpg

Middle pic might be a boy. Top and bottom look like girls.
+1!

Good News! Right after I made the post saying I will post more pics when she molted I looked over to see that she was in the process! That was my 1st time actually witnessing a molt from begining to end. If this one ends up being female that will mean that I actually have 2 females and 3 males! The 1st picture is the mantis Im pretty sure is female and the 2nd is the mantis Im guessing is male. Please let me know your diagnosis. Although now I think it is probably pretty obvious!L4 Female?

L4 Male?
L4 Female?

Yes!

L4 Male?

Looks like it, but not certain... not as clear indications or pic as the first one. ;)

That was for adults. Males have an upturned cup shape and females a curved point. As for nymphs you gotta count segments. So look at the part for non adults.

That was for adults. Males have an upturned cup shape and females a curved point. As for nymphs you gotta count segments. So look at the part for non adults.
Sorry about that I didn't meen to mis quote you. I guess I transposed the adult and nymph descriptions in your post.