Heterochaeta sp. raptorial mismoult

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaunte

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. 

One of my heterochatea mismoulted to L5 and both his/her raptors are misshapen.

I know eating will be difficult, so I plan on hand feeding, if she/he will accept. 
My question is, should I try and snip off the misshappen ends to hope the next mount will correct the disfigurements, or is it the end for my little one?

I would avoid snipping anything off if possible. Make sure you have good molting surfaces since the deformation will make the next molt difficult. I doubt it would be able to fully regenerate at this instar... a photo would be helpful.

I'd hand feed if necessary. If it can't hold the prey it may be challenging. Good luck. 🤞

thank you for your help @Synapze
I’m okay and understanding that a full regeneration isn’t possible. I’m looking more for quality of life. I was able to hand feed the little some most of a squished red runner. 

I uploaded a photo so you can see the deformations. 

8B36CC8B-7D40-42F4-9060-A983319DD3ED.jpeg

It does look a little bowed, but I’ve seen the little one straighten out and hold itself up. It can hold itself up, but not for very long. It can’t hold prey. This is the end of day 2 after molting. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What size enclosure did you use. I see what looks like a 32oz container lid. If it is, the mismolt could have occurred because there was not enough height.

If you have the compassion and time, I would suggest handfeeding and finger crossing. That being said, if it mainly lays face down and has mobility issues, you should probably consider euthanizing the poor thing. 😕

Good luck!