Hissing Cockroach Breeding Question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotherMantis

Reaction score
So a month or so ago, my pair of supposed females decided to molt and I now have a male and female.

I'd like to take a stab at breeding them just once. I currently keep them room temperature (never under 70, I like it warm) and someone suggested a heat mat to help them out.

My question is, could I use my heat mat I use for  my cactus seedlings? It raises the ambient temperature by 15 degrees or so. Or is a reptile mat with thermostat better recommended? I definitely do not want to hurt them  :(  

It's likely they will breed all on their own.  If it's warm in the room, you won't need a heat mat.  I never used a heat mat, and I was breeding roaches for more than 10 years at normal room temps.  I don't know anything about the heat mat you are referring to that's used for your seedlings, so I can't comment on that. 

Basically, let them enjoy being adults for a while, and then they should get to breeding soon enough.  I always found romaine lettuce helped stimulate breeding, but that was just my nonscientific observations.  And be aware, if they breed, it's likely it will be more than just "once".  ;)

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's likely they will breed all on their own.  If it's warm in the room, you won't need a heat mat.  I never used a heat mat, and I was breeding roaches for more than 10 years at normal room temps.  I don't know anything about the heat mat you are referring to that's used for your seedlings, so I can't comment on that. 

Basically, let them enjoy being adults for a while, and then they should get to breeding soon enough.  I always found romaine lettuce helped stimulate breeding, but that was just my nonscientific observations.  And be aware, if they breed, it's likely it will be more than just "once".  ;)

Good Luck!
Thanks for that! 

I just figured once I added more heat I'd get babies, and then removed it there wouldn't be any more  :sweatdrop:  

I'll just let them do their own thing  :shifty:

They can breed at room tempature it just takes longer, you can increase the cage tempature for them to breed and then take the heat away to slow or stop breeding.

Latest posts