Hissing Neyteri and Ateyo

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Lady

Reaction score
I bought 2 hissing Roaches ( Gromphadorhina portentosa ) and they will arrive  tomorrow. They are young adults, so i will see no molts of them.

%24_85.JPG

These 2 are the ones that are chosen to be my new pet insects. I name them Neyteri and Ateyo: new species, so the names are re-useable. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have them yet, there is some delay at the post office. They will arrive tomorrow

Big roaches! 😵

Very cool, though!
They are big yes, And they make a hissing sound when touched.😂 You can handle them.

Their home is ready. I bought 2 because they like company. I think I will make dinner tomorrow something with fresh veggies to give them something to eat too ;) (the feeders will like it too) They are easy eaters, so they can eat feeder insect food too.

They arrived an hour ago.

They made a lot of hisses when I put them in their new home with water and food. I will leave them be for now. So they can adjust to their new home. ;) And find their nice hiding spot where they can sleep.

Neyteri1.png
    Neyteri. Yes, even females can give loud hisses😁

Ateyo1.png
Ateyo: he was not amused to be taken out of the box😁

The-hissers-together.png

Yeah,  they are nice. Ateyo is getting active now (close to midnight). He is exploring: climbing on the stuff that I put in there. They can even climb their home itself, but they can't escape. He is even drinking and eating a bit. Cool to see.😎 Neyteri is still in bark home.

Nice looking hissers!

The horns on your male are BIG! Any chance they’re hybrids? 

I had to stop keeping the hissers in my bedroom.... They’d get so active at night, I’d wake up hearing them moving around and hissing. 

Are you gonna let them breed or are they separated?

The horns on your male are BIG! Any chance they’re hybrids? 
I don't know if they are hybrids. They are not sold as hybrids.

I had to stop keeping the hissers in my bedroom.... They’d get so active at night, I’d wake up hearing them moving around and hissing. 
i dont have them in my bedroom either. I have them on my desk like my my mantids.

Are you gonna let them breed or are they separated? 
They are together in 1 box. I don't think they will breed at 21,5C (my room temperature) But they like each other, they are sitting together now ;)

I think my hissers are a bit crazy: they like to sit in the leaves instead of the  hiding place i bought for them:

ney-and-ateyo.jpg

This looks funny, both with their heads together😁 This i found them this morning. I thought they like a hiding place like the dubias. but not. You see the fake bark hiding I bought for them under them.

I will. I need to keep  their home closed, They are very good climbers😁No free roaming on my desk for these guys. They are slippery and have strong legs

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my hissers are a bit crazy: they are always sitting in the corner like here:

ney-and-ateyo.jpg

During the daytime. I think they walk around in the night, because next day the salad leaves are gone. Why are they sitting like that and not in the hiding place?

I was giving my hissers some fresh salad leaves, what they get every day. I saw something with Neyteri. It looks like that she is getting lighter in color where her segments are more visible:

ney.jpg

I don't know what it means. Maybe some of you know it.