Honey for Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just looking to learn more about honey and Mantises. Should I stay away from "normal" store bought honey? Is there something specific about honey I should we worried or at least aware of when feeding honey to my Orchid Mantis. Well still waiting for Peter to ship it. Tuesday can't approach fast enough.

Shout out to Peter, I am stoked. 

what you want is unfiltered honey  with the hive included in the jar. The act of filtering removes the benefits of the honey.Also some honey producers add corn syrup. Some store honey is labeled unfiltered also but would trust it more if I could see pieces of the hive. Just depends what is available to you

To stay within a typical budget, just make sure whatever you buy is honey only. I tend to hang around the organic labelling for a good reason. 

That is what I was thinking I need to do but wanted confirmation. Also to see if someone were to say maybe "there is no good store bought honey". Fortunately I live in Colorado so I would have a hard time finding it just a longer drive out of town or to the farmers market, but they are only up on Saturday. Thank you all for the info given already and future info I will read. 

I give mine local, raw and unfiltered honey. It has tiny bits of wax and pollen which are very valuable to your mantis.

Sue Bee is a very blah honey. I think it has corn syrup in it. Its not worth a darn. 

I hadn't even thought of what kind of honey to give them to be honest. I just give them what I have in the cupboard. Maude loves it as you can see:

P1010790.JPG

Thank you. So in a pinch I can use what's in the cuboard, but unfiltered natural honey is beneficially good for them. 

And thank you for the pic.

So I knew I was supposed to be feeding my mantises honey but I kept forgetting. I fed my two girls honey on saturday and they do seem to have a bit more energy in general and they were noticeably more energetic right after. Yes, the unfiltered is good for them! You can also add Flower Power to it! http://www.mantispets.com/enclosures-and-supplies.html

Flower Power is a supplement for mantids.

wait is it needed to give them honey ? i only feed mine with crickets.

From everything I have been reading all over the forum is that you definitely need to feed your mantis more then just crickets, especially if they are only store bought and you don't take care of the crickets yourself. Honey is supplemental of you wish, or as a treat.  

oh i thought it was called crickets in english. I actually feed them with grasshopers. the grasshopers are fed with carrots and lettuce sometimes...

and how do you make them eat honey ?

Yeah definietly better. I don't want to say for sure but read up on carrots for feeder insects for your mantis. I though I saw something negative about it...

Just a little honey on the tip of a blunted tooth pick or the like. 

What language do you speak? 

It's probably best to steer clear of the carrots. I use basically everything besides carrots and meats for all my feeders and have had no issues.

You do not have to feed your mantids honey.. but you can if you wish. It's moreso a treat than anything, but can help with treating sickly mantids (throwing up and such...). I've used it and told others to use it when theirs fell sick and it usually helps.

Also, you can give your mantids whole milk. Let it sit out until it hits room temp and feed droplets at a time. ;)  

I speak french. I will give her some honey then. I read about carrots and will probably stop feeding them with carrots even though its going fine for now. Could i put honey on the grasshopers ? just a random idea.

I speak french. I will give her some honey then. I read about carrots and will probably stop feeding them with carrots even though its going fine for now. Could i put honey on the grasshopers ? just a random idea.
Yep. I used to dab a bit of honey on the crickets.

Latest posts